Are the VOLUME and GAIN controls in DB?

On each track there is a VOLUME and GAIN control.  Are those numbers both in DB and are they the same value?  IE if I lower the VOLUME 1 or the GAIN 1 will that be the same amount?

I'm often advised to "lower the volume 1DB" on the vocal but I'm unclear if lowering these value 1 translates into the same thing.

12 hours ago, mettelus said:

Yes to the dB part, but please see the Signal Flow Diagram. Gain is a "pre-processing" adjustment, whereas "volume" is typically an output control. Depending on the track type and contents, what they are doing can be entirely different; so no to the 1:1 correlation.

This!   It's real important to understand the signal flow in your Daw. Each Daw is a little different. Example Cakewalk Next doesn't even have a Gain control or any numbers. 

In most Daw's the Gain is first in the signal path and lowering it's level will lower the overall power of the signal passing thought the whole channel strip. Sometimes this is what you want to prevent clipping of any effects. The Pro Channel, as example,  the power button when on will turn red if you are getting close to overloading it. 

Therefore we set the gain so the input to the channel strip is at a desired working level ( example - 10 db) 

As you add effects to the signal path you keep an eye on what is happening on the tracks meter. 

The last thing you do is adjust the tracks fader. Or add automation. 

Edited by Sock Monkey

13 hours ago, mettelus said:

Yes to the dB part, but please see the Signal Flow Diagram. Gain is a "pre-processing" adjustment, whereas "volume" is typically an output control. Depending on the track type and contents, what they are doing can be entirely different; so no to the 1:1 correlation.

Thanks. I have always been a bit confused about this. 

3 hours ago, HappyRon Hill said:

Thanks. I have always been a bit confused about this. 

Just to elaborate a bit, you should be setting your gains according to the signal level coming into Sonar. Adjust each track so that the highest peak on the track is between -9dB & -12dB. This is with your track fader set at 0dB. (This process is known as gain staging)

Once this is done, don't move the gain control again! If you do, you'll be affecting the amount of signal being "seen" by your compressors & other dynamic type plugins, so if their input level changes, you'll have to revisit all your threshold settings, which in turn could mean you have to change the ratio & makeup gain.

Set and forget.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 1:16 PM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Just to elaborate a bit, you should be setting your gains according to the signal level coming into Sonar. Adjust each track so that the highest peak on the track is between -9dB & -12dB. This is with your track fader set at 0dB. (This process is known as gain staging)

Once this is done, don't move the gain control again! If you do, you'll be affecting the amount of signal being "seen" by your compressors & other dynamic type plugins, so if their input level changes, you'll have to revisit all your threshold settings, which in turn could mean you have to change the ratio & makeup gain.

Set and forget.

I'm reading this as if you're saying track gain control is related to record level?

It's late.. I'm Shure just reading it wrong :>)

Edited by Wayne Smith

On 9/16/2024 at 3:34 AM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

No. Recording level is only ever governed by the settings on your interface.

Setting the appropriate level there is the first step in gain staging.

Thank you. For sure I was missing the obvious intent re' our gain controls. Thank you Sir!  :>)