Can't get CakeWalk to play. Play button is disabled.

Hello!

I installed the latest Cakewalk on my PC with Windows 7. Everything seems to be fine, I load a demo project but the [>] button is not clickable, I can't play it.

I spent hours and hours playing with driver settings, different outputs, ASIO, WASAPI, WDM - it would not play. Uninstalled CakeWalk, deleted all settings in registry and computer, installed it again - same thing. It is so frustrating!

Searched the net for a solution, even asked ChatGPT but found no solution for this particular problem. Please, help.

Edited by Newage Lu

• Newage Lu changed the title to Can't get CakeWalk to play. Play button is disabled.
23 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Please tell us what audio device you are using.  This will help people know what driver you should be using.

The Built in Realtek ALC892 on board audioimage.png.f00f09389af9c826180c4f48ab4d9a88.png

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.31959ed4c1e66bad38157c7759e56520.png

9 hours ago, Living Room Rocker said:

Hi Newage Lu and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Can you post a screenshot with output of your Master bus?  Make sure the output it point to your Realtek sound card.  Also, check that your audio engine it engaged.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Edited by Newage Lu

1 hour ago, Newage Lu said:

What do you mean?

The first place you look when there is no sound is at the output of the Master bus. It will possibly have defaulted to "none" because you have been screwing around with your sound settings. You should be using 

WASAPI SHARED mode with the Realtek audio and make sure all your settings in both Windows and Cakewalk are using the exact same Audio system. ( Realtek 1/2? )  I see you have a few others and those can conflict. 

Windows 7? that's gotta hurt! 

On 9/2/2024 at 6:48 AM, Living Room Rocker said:

The output of you Master bus...see below in red:

masteroutput.png.5e67fdc9b34c69d596177cc5e60b6a4c.png

It should be pointing to your interface/soundcard's speakers (output).

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

I went through the entire CakeWalk setup but did not find this control panel. Where is it?

If you see other Track Control "Widgets" but not the one for Output --> [ O ], that  could be a Track Control Manager issue.   It could be something else, but the Track Control Management box is the first place I'd look.  

UPDATE:  I was able to get the [ O ] track control widget to be missing from a bus, by creating a Custom Track Control Preset and unchecking Output in the Bus Strip column.  

If you have no idea what I am talking about, try changing the Track Control Preset to "All."

Edited by User 905133
to add an UPDATE

After a windows update (shortly after going from win7 to 10 on a normally offline pc) I also lost the ability to use the "play" button or spacebar for transport. This was in All of my projects. I tried everything I could think of and also posted about it here (and did everything suggested). Never did figure it out.  I finally gave up and did a "system restore" a few restore points back. Everything went back to "normal" and the next update didn't bring the problem back.

May not be your issue . I had put my PC online to re-activate CbB (again) ,  and it updated windows during the process. ms

• 2 weeks later...