Sonar.exe still running after closing the program

Sal Sorice

I've been having this issue for a while and will post some more details when back at my PC but curious if this is happening a lot to others as well. I've read some posts about it, but it seems to be an isolated issue - maybe something specific to plugins / my PC / my setup?

I'm currently using a batch file to "launch" Sonar (using pskill.exe from SysInternals) - which kills sonar.exe if it is running, then launches sonar.exe

Kinda messy, but it works - until I find a solution.

Edited by Sal Sorice
Fixed Title

• Sal Sorice changed the title to Sonar.exe still running after closing the program

Other things that work for me is logging off and back on Windows or powering the whole system down.

Some days it happens every time Sonar/CbB closes no matter what.  Other days it never happens at all.

Common culprits are rogue plugins and interface drivers... or Windows having a bad day. 9_9

Using Scarlett 8i6 Gen3 with latest ASIO drivers. Sonar never crashes, just hangs after closing on some projects and RAM usage drops over the course of a few seconds and seems to settle at about 600MB or so.

My batch file works fine but hoping to find the root cause eventually.

4 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

Using Scarlett 8i6 Gen3 with latest ASIO drivers. Sonar never crashes, just hangs after closing on some projects and RAM usage drops over the course of a few seconds and seems to settle at about 600MB or so.

My batch file works fine but hoping to find the root cause eventually.

Is likely plug-in related. Contact me on PM and send me a dump file captured from task Manager. It will be big so you will have to compress and upload to a file share service.

@Sal Sorice I looked at your dump file. It appears to be a plugin Musio.vst3  thats blocking the app from shutting down.
As you can see from the stack information, Sonar is trying to exit but the plugin has blocked it from shutting down. Contact the plugin developer and give them the dump file. Only they can fix this.

>    ntdll.dll!00007fffa618d144()    Unknown
     KERNELBASE.dll!00007fffa3d0306e()    Unknown
     Musio.vst3!00007fff45061737()    Unknown
     Musio.vst3!00007fff450615d0()    Unknown
     Musio.vst3!00007fff45061cdb()    Unknown
     Musio.vst3!00007fff453ba1a4()    Unknown

ucrtbase.dll!<lambda>(void)()    Unknown
     ucrtbase.dll!__crt_seh_guarded_call<...>::operator()<...>()    Unknown
     ucrtbase.dll!_execute_onexit_table()    Unknown
     Musio.vst3!00007fff44d63c82()    Unknown
     Musio.vst3!00007fff44d63da8()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!00007fffa6109a1d()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!00007fffa614dcec()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!00007fffa614da7d()    Unknown
     kernel32.dll!00007fffa540e6ab()    Unknown
     ucrtbase.dll!exit_or_terminate_process()    Unknown
     ucrtbase.dll!common_exit()    Unknown
     Sonar.exe!0000000140a1a218()    Unknown

kernel32.dll!00007fffa54074b4()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!00007fffa61426a1()    Unknown

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

There was an update to Musio today and the problem seems to be fixed. Haven't heard back from support yet, so not sure if the update specifically addressed the issue or if it's just a coincidence.

Not sure why, but for this project, Sonar reports using 27GB of RAM:

image.png.47a3bc0aa59ba74de890a4d9d2250b52.png

But Task Manager shows 12.5GB?:

image.png.3f2e657600cf997f38a761c94b77d984.png

When I exit Sonar RAM (shown in Task Manager) immediately drops to about 6GB, then slowly declines to 0 over about 15 seconds before sonar.exe fully terminates.

Not sure if it's Musio related or if it's common for other plugins to slowly release RAM before sonar.exe terminates? 

5 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

There was an update to Musio today and the problem seems to be fixed. Haven't heard back from support yet, so not sure if the update specifically addressed the issue or if it's just a coincidence.

When I exit Sonar RAM (shown in Task Manager) immediately drops to about 6GB, then slowly declines to 0 over about 15 seconds before sonar.exe fully terminates.

Not sure if it's Musio related or if it's common for other plugins to slowly release RAM before sonar.exe terminates? 

Any insights from @Noel Borthwick or anyone else? Thanks!

On 8/23/2024 at 12:55 PM, Sal Sorice said:

Yes this is common behaviour for all the cached content to be released over time.

15 seconds is about reasonable in my experience for how long it would take to release that much content. It would appear your Musio bug has been resolved, so I'd say this is now functioning in line with expectations :)

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher
  • Like 1