Mouse movement makes Cakewalk playback stutter

RexRed

Mouse movement makes Cakewalk playback stutter. It plays perfectly smooth until I move my mouse.

I figured out what is causing this.... I have two graphics cards in my system.

Both of them are Nvidia 3090s (same brand).

When I disable the one that is on my secondary PCIE slot in the device manager, the stuttering goes away completely even when I move my mouse. 

My question is, is there a way to tell Cakewalk Sonar to use only one of the graphics cards so I can keep the second one enabled in the background? 

This makes sense because one of the PCIE slots is connected directly to the CPU and the other PCIE slot is connected to the chipset...

This logically can cause a bit of incongruence.

I would like to keep both enabled but just have Cakewalk use only the faster card/slot. 

Leaving the card enabled does not just interrupt the graphics when I move my mouse, it also stutters the audio.

Edited by RexRed

This would be a Windows thing.

Long shot here. 

Have you tried disabling both Nvidia “High Definition Audio Controller” entries? - done in Device Manager, under “System Devices”

Another long shot (though less preferable - causes high power use)

Open up Nvida Control Panel, and under “Manager 3D settings” set “Power Management Mode” to Prefer Maximum Performance.

Thought of another long shot

Start run > desk.cpl.    Then scroll down to “Graphic Settings” and set Graphic preference for Sonar (I only have one card so I am not sure what would show here for two graphics cards)

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1

If you are getting stutter on moving the mouse its a hardware driver level issue where your video driver is impacting your audio driver at the kernel level.
There is nothing Sonar can do to alleviate this, and it will happen in any audio software. 
What audio interface are you using (USB or PCI)? 
In either case this is something to take up with the audio driver vendor or see if you can troubleshoot your graphics drivers.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2024 at 4:23 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

If you are getting stutter on moving the mouse its a hardware driver level issue where your video driver is impacting your audio driver at the kernel level.
There is nothing Sonar can do to alleviate this, and it will happen in any audio software. 
What audio interface are you using (USB or PCI)? 
In either case this is something to take up with the audio driver vendor or see if you can troubleshoot your graphics drivers.

I bought an Nvidia 4090 graphics card and now (along with the last Sonar update) Cakewalk is solid as a rock. One graphics card is doing what both of my 3090s were doing.

I couldn't be any more pleased with Cakewalk's performance! 

• Like 4