I think I'm cured...

Nick Blanc

2 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

I think the market is pretty saturated and people who are around for more than a couple of years (especially those under the care of cclarry), have pretty much all they want and need.

This. For mixing and mastering FX I'm beyond maxed out.

The things that still interest me are "creative" FX like Glitchmachines, Unfiltered Audio, Freakshow Industries, and the like, and freebies from major houses (like the recent CM T-RackS giveaway).

As far as virtual instruments, I have more than everything I've ever wanted, so unless A|A|S is putting the rare soundpack I don't already have on sale for $10, or it does something in a novel way (like Sonuscore The Orchestra), it's freebies only, and very few of those make it through.

Unless they're doing something kinda novel, like Sonuscore's The Orchestra, I have all the sample libraries I need.

My collection of plug-ins feels like a huge iceberg that I chip pieces from to put in my drink.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

I'd been trying every gas therapy on the planet with no success.

gastherapy.thumb.jpg.00239faa69018f8d6ad8a91919015c54.jpg

Me watching deals forum.

Will have to go around your area try breathing your air and see if it helps!

Acknowledging that you've got an addiction is the first step. I feel like people like to joke about GAS but I think it's a serious addiction that can cost people lots of money. I once started to write down everything Audio-related that I bought into a Google Sheet and was shocked when I realized how much money I've spent in the last three years. Now instead of buying more and more, I only get freebies, sell some licenses and maybe spend like 10€ every few months.

What helped me is to realize how little the things that I buy actually contribute to my music. And to remember that I'm just doing this as a hobby. What might be a must-have for a serious producer might be a total waste in my hands as I don't even know how to use it properly.

When tempted to buy something, I ask myself these questions:

• Do I really need it?
  • Have people been able to make great music without it? (The answer is always "yes", of course)
  • Do I have similar products?
  • If I have similar products, have I really used them to their full potential yet? Does this new thing do anything I absolutely need?
  • When reading the comments there might be this overall consensus that it'd be tragic to miss this amazing deal. Don't let that impress you. Remember the many times where you fell into that trap just to later think "hm ... I don't really find it as great as the people in the forum do".
  • Am I just trying to compensate lack of skills by buying things? That never works.
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

Acknowledging that you've got an addiction is the first step. I feel like people like to joke about GAS but I think it's a serious addiction that can cost people lots of money.

Just to be clear, for me expressing humor and addressing serious issues are not mutually exclusive.  On occasion I have referred to GASaholics in what might be considered a lighthearted tone (such as "GASaholics of the world, Unite!!!).  To me these kinds of statements serve a positive role and should not be taken to be poking fun at the expense of people who might be considered "Recovering GASaholics." 

5 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

When tempted to buy something, I ask myself these questions . . . .

I use a similar list of personal questions and strategies and find they work for me--for the most part.  In fact, now that I think about it, one personal strategy stems dates back a few decades to when I quit smoking cigarettes.

On 8/17/2024 at 2:26 AM, kitekrazy1 said:

recently I thought I would get everything UJAM if they did something like Melda does.

I got an email to have UJAM everything for 119.   Now plugin scans will take longer. 

Nice price, but even lower at bestservice.com.

https://www.bestservice.com/en/deals/ujam_complete_your_bundle_sale_6118.html

I am NOT cured 🤒 I did bite on this one

• Like 1
  • Haha 2