Breathe (Pink Floyd Cover)- Duet with Tone Hjelt

Ross Smithe

Wanted to share this cover I just finished with the group, as I'm really happy with how it came out! I have fun trying to recreate some of my favorite classic tunes from years past in my modest home studio. I feel like it's a great exercise in refining recording and mixing skills and techniques as well. This one was a definite challenge, as I'm sure you can imagine! All done in CbB (as always), with a combination of VST and hardware synths (done completely from keyboard). The heavy hitters instrumentally were Omnisphere and Kontakt (VST), and my Korg Kronos (hardware), with some supporting help from Arturia Analog Lab and Addictive Drums. My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, and my vocal mic on this was a simple AT2020 (with the AIR setting activated on the 4i4). Another real highlight is a FABULOUS female duet part laid down by my friend and long time singing partner Tone Hjelt from Oslo, Norway. I posted a mixdown on Bandlab, and she added her part there. I then brought it back to CbB to final mix and master. Everything is newly recorded from scratch except some beginning sounds (for authenticity), and a few choice Gilmour guitar licks in last verse. Anyway, have a listen, feedback is welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Β 

Edited by Ross Smithe
  • Like 6

Excellant !Β  Β  Β Always loved this song . Used to do it in an acoustic band but with no synth. Synth tracks were Real nice !

Very nice job on the lead vox. Tone did a wonderful job with the vocal shadowing and harmony.Β Β 

If I were to make any changes .. I would balance the voices a little bit. I think yours needs to be more up front with Tone a little further under you..Β  Β 

Fantastic cover !Β  Β I Really enjoyed the first listenΒ  of probably many more.Β  Β  Β  markΒ  Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Excellant !Β  Β  Β Always loved this song . Used to do it in an acoustic band but with no synth. Synth tracks were Real nice !

Very nice job on the lead vox. Tone did a wonderful job with the vocal shadowing and harmony.Β Β 

If I were to make any changes .. I would balance the voices a little bit. I think yours needs to be more up front with Tone a little further under you..Β  Β 

Fantastic cover !Β  Β I Really enjoyed the first listenΒ  of probably many more.Β  Β  Β  markΒ  Β 

Β 

Hey Mark, thanks so much for the listen and feedback! Funny you pinpointed the vocals, because it was a point of significant deliberation when mixing. Tone has such a cool and stylish quality to her vocals, I really wanted her to be heard. I ended up approaching it more like a duet than her just singing back up. Also, I thought it might subtly distinguish it from the original. Anyway, great observation and comment Mark, thanks again!

• Like 1

Back in the 70s, whenever we got together with friends, we always played this "Pink Floyd" classic, first of all, thank you for reminding me of my university years.

I like your performance, although it is not a very easy song, you have successfully overcome it, congratulations!

Edited by Alper Karamahmutoglu
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2024 at 12:22 PM, Alper Karamahmutoglu said:

Back in the 70s, whenever we got together with friends, we always played this "Pink Floyd" classic, first of all, thank you for reminding me of my university years.

I like your performance, although it is not a very easy song, you have successfully overcome it, congratulations!

Thanks so much for the listen and the feedback!! πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

On 8/14/2024 at 4:29 PM, bjornpdx said:

Wow, I think I like your version better than the original.Β  Simply wonderful work, Ross.
-Bjorn

Hey Bjorn, thanks so much for dropping in and for the kind feedback!! πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

On 8/16/2024 at 10:10 AM, Wookiee said:

Having heard this live in 1973 at Earls Court and subsequently again at a few more Floyd gigs you are in my opinion a brave. man and lady.

Quite a reasonable cover. :)Β 

Hey Wookie, thanks so much for dropping in on my Floydian fakery!! Appreciate your comments, and I must say I'm a bit jealous of your history seeing PF live!! πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

On 8/18/2024 at 6:27 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Ross

Great cover of a great song

I thought the vocals and everything else sounded just right

Excellent

Nigel

Β 

Hey there Nigel, thanks so much for dropping in for a listen and for the kind feedback!!

1 hour ago, equality said:

Awesome production and very nice craftmanship. I really like the achieved wall of sound. Btw, the sound of the cash register in the intro is from Money right?

Thanks so much for the listen and feedback! Yes, the cash register sound is the intro from Money. At the beginning of Β the DSOTM album, leading into Breathe, they have this kind of mashup/montage called Speak to Me, and it's included as part of that. As I mentioned, I ripped that intro part from the original, didn't reproduce that, just added to it and enhanced it a bit.

• Like 1