Not so good for Intel

Yep.  Screw the little guy for mistakes made by management who will probably keep their jobs.  Pretty standard procedure lately!

I did a contract for Intel out at their R&D headquarters in Hillsboro, Oregon in 2007.  That was interesting!  Oh, and if you bought one of their boards with multiple CPU's on it back around 17 years ago, it came with an extra DVD containing utilities.  One of the utilities helped you tune the board for different usages and included what looked like a racing instrument panel.  I made most of the graphics and the speedometer-type dials. 😎

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Young said:

Desktop users are a very small group these days.

That's exactly right. At one time we may have dominated, but that was long ago. Young people today don't have a desktop. They use their phone. And the numbe rof sales for desktops are slowing. 

I'm going the other way.  Larger monitors and now I can connect my phone to my desktop when I want to.  I do have a nice Samsung Note 10+ with its huge 4k screen, but I don't do that much on it except certain games, pictures/video, and only some of my email & texting.  It's great for things like on-demand tools (calculator, calendar, WiFi checking, flashlight, timers, alarms, navigation, etc.) and grocery lists in addition to obviously being a phone!

• Like 1

I think the reason desktop sales are slowing is because of the obscene cost of the graphics cards caused by bit mining.

If you want a decent 4K-UHD PC you're going to drop $5K easily. Then add a 4K-UHD capable monitor on top of that.

Then spend that again in two to three years when the newest games and software come out that requires a better GPU than you have.

You may be forced to upgrade the CPU so it is capable of unlocking the full potential of that new GPU.

And you may be forced to upgrade the MOBO to unlock the full potential of the CPU you had to upgrade.

But you can save some money by buying RAM that is overclockable, although you may have to replace that every one to two years. Sorry, no warranty on overclockable RAM, but they'll sell it to you anyway and give you free software to do it in real-time from your desktop without going in to BIOS.

In other words just throw it all out and spend five grand minimum every 3 years to keep up with the software.

On second thought, just buy a cheap console for gaming with crappy graphics and use a much less expensive PC for not so demanding tasks.

Edited by Shane_B.
Fixed typo.

30 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

the obscene cost of the graphics cards caused by bit mining.

Yep. Forgot about that. The outlook not long ago was that crypto would peak soon and demand for graphics card would go back to normal. Since that time, there have been at least 3 or 4 new crypto's that will eventually become mainstream like bitcoin. So that peak hasn't happened yet. It (the peak) may never happen the way things look.

Edited by Grem