How to activate the helpful icons at the menus on Cakewalk Sonar?

Where are these cute little icons? I used to navigate fast by clicking over the familiar icons, even without my glasses. Now I have to read the texts until I find what I want. Is there an option to activate them?

Cakewalk.png.203050c8f6934dc4272d7b6c02e76140.pngCakewalkSonar.png.7a9f27134e7e8a1b71a97f1afb822702.png

Edited by ManuelGuerrero

@Piing they are I believe all either BMP or PNG images. As the GUI for Sonar is now been updated to the modern way of GUI generation, vector graphics, those image formats have been done away with.

Nothing to do with being sacrificed on any alter, anywhere, using vector graphics enables faster coding,  leading to faster development time, easierto add new features. It is also the way forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Because the right brain parses images and colors faster than text, maybe there could be customization that allows changing the text color, so your most-used options would be easier to pick out of a group of options. I colorize tracks in a standardized way for that reason (e.g., drums red, guitars blue, vocals green, etc.), and it really helps for locating specific tracks when you're dealing with a project that has lots of tracks. 

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, pwal²³ said:

i'll politely disagree here, especially when converting an existing ui from bmp to svg (are they still using the codejock framework? if so then they're dependent on cj updating first, etc etc - actually, whatever happened to user cj? @CJ)

i'll politely agree here

I don't know what code framework they use now, I was trying to be helpful as to a reason for their disappearance. It is a long time since I wrote code, we used C, C++ or C# or .NET or visual studio did not exist, and none of the fancy tools they use now, it was also under the CP/M OS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pwal²³ said:

whatever happened to user cj?

I heard that he bought a soundblaster and realised that he'd spent many years living a lie. Moved to a desert island and build an entire studio using a $200 laptop and a USB mic.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, pwal²³ said:

(altho the info is useful in a different context)

It would be except for the fact that anyone who's anyone knows that drums are green.?

• Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, paulo said:

It would be except for the fact that anyone who's anyone knows that drums are green.?

Wah wah is green - duh!

Back on topic, as someone who finds icons incomprehensible (I think it's an ND thing - visual imagery takes too long to process and/or bears no obvious  resemblance to the thing it refers to) and distracting, I'm more than happy to see the back of them.

3 hours ago, pwal²³ said:

politely replying that this doesn't answer the question...(altho the info is useful in a different context)

The question had already been answered by Wookiee. Given that the goal is rapid identification of functions, I moved on to suggesting a potentially easier to implement workaround. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Icons were actually removed in CbB a while back when they reformatted the menus.  Interesting there's still room for them on the left, tho.

6 hours ago, paulo said:

I heard that he bought a soundblaster and realised that he'd spent many years living a lie. Moved to a desert island and build an entire studio using a $200 laptop and a USB mic.

That's all I use. :P

16 hours ago, Xoo said:

Wah wah is green - duh!

I'm not sure whether to mock your foolishness or praise your bravery for allowing people to see it. 

Usually in such situations I go with "Ok then".

Ok then.

?

My favorite all time CJ quote regarding Sound blaster cards   " Take that thing, drive to the tallest building in town and throw it off the roof!"

I was tempted to say that about a Behringer UMC 22 the other day. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, pwal²³ said:

me too, x1 was a disaster... why can't you still use 853?

I don't have a computer that'll run it, and it's limited these days. I'm spoiled. Still, it's my favorite interface. I do have an old WinXP SP2 machine that dug out of storage. Need to get a video card for it and thinking of using it as a MIDI only setup for my hardware.

5 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

X1 was fine after it was patched to X1e

Thanks for mentioning this.  I have X1d (build 535 installed). 

UPDATE: I just read this thread from the old forum. My X1 is Producer Expanded.  Is that X1e even though the About dialog says X1d? (Or maybe I need to find and install X1e?)

Edited by User 905133
Added a question based on some research into X1e

19 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Thanks for mentioning this.  I have X1d (build 535 installed). 

UPDATE: I just read this thread from the old forum. My X1 is Producer Expanded.  Is that X1e even though the About dialog says X1d? (Or maybe I need to find and install X1e?)

Now you're testing my memory.

I don't think the 'e' referred to Expanded - Expanded was a separate path that we could follow

The whole numbersing system for different versions got very confusing back then.

On 8/5/2024 at 3:18 PM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Now you're testing my memory.

I don't think the 'e' referred to Expanded - Expanded was a separate path that we could follow

The whole numbersing system for different versions got very confusing back then.

IIRC SONAR X1 Expanded was a version of X1 with an early implementation of the ProChannel.

The X1e update was available to all versions, but you may find there is a specific X1e update for SONAR X1 Expanded, just as there was for artist/professional/producer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1