And now this.

When power density increases, heat dissipation is paramount to longevity. Surface cooling gives a temperature gradient to drive the thermal flux, but the peak temp is going to be at the center of mass (if cooled on all sides). Trivia data point... the inductive writer (head) in old drives was spec'd to 255C (491F), to give an error margin for network drives that might be running 24/7 way back when (like 25 years ago)... they also have minimal (or no) cooling, so certainly by no means a good comparison, just an example of how hot small electronics can get. A lot of new wafer technology is geared for density, so thermal (and dielectric)  breakdown aren't overly surprising, but it is disappointing to see that this was probably known prior to production, and the reaction to it (by Intel from this article) is rather appalling to me.

At least they did specify the "non-K versions"... when something can be overclocked it will run even hotter, so they most likely have a beefed up insulation/dissipation design to them.

26 minutes ago, mettelus said:

At least they did specify the "non-K versions"... when something can be overclocked it will run even hotter, so they most likely have a beefed up insulation/dissipation design to them.

However, I believe these were new additions (at least how I read it) to the K versions that had been previously mentioned!

(I've got an Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz so I was very interested!)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.41 GHz on the non-DAW (was previously Win 7 DAW but upgraded to Win 10)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz on the DAW

Edited by Bapu