Anyone else have to activate every month? It used to be every 6 months.

I guess your not in the loop, most people aren't. A lot has changed this year. 

Cakewalk Sonar is now the version that is fully supported and Cakewalk by Bandlab is retired. You can upgrade to Sonar by acquiring a Backstage pass membership to Bandlab. This includes Sonar, Cakewalk Next as well as a bunch of other music services like distributing and sharing your creations. 

They will be "maintaining" it but it will not see any bug fixes or updates. It will still be free but a 30 day activation cycle is the price you pay for having access to the software. This is a common method used by many software vendors. The free version will come with a "Nag screen" 

To remove the Nag you pay.           Simple. 

If you decide to go with Sonar,  don't pay the full price for the membership, it will go on sale from time to time we are told and you save around $50 US. 

Edited by Sock Monkey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sock Monkey said:

I guess your not in the loop, most people aren't. A lot has changed this year. 

Cakewalk Sonar is now the version that is fully supported and Cakewalk by Bandlab is retired. You can upgrade to Sonar by acquiring a Backstage pass membership to Bandlab. This includes Sonar, Cakewalk Next as well as a bunch of other music services like distributing and sharing your creations. 

They will be "maintaining" it but it will not see any bug fixes or updates. It will still be free but a 30 day activation cycle is the price you pay for having access to the software. This is a common method used by many software vendors. The free version will come with a "Nag screen" 

To remove the Nag you pay.           Simple. 

If you decide to go with Sonar,  don't pay the full price for the membership, it will go on sale from time to time we are told and you save around $50 US. 

That's not entirely true. CbB had a maintenance update only last week. Bug fixes WILL be applied.

• Like 1

To keep expectations realistic, this is what was in the most recent CbB maintenance update:

Updated to 29.09.0.108 (July 3, 2024)

Fixes in build 29.09.0.108

Regression: Per Output Instrument Track disabled in Add Track flyout menu.

BandLab API updates.

Changes (build 29.09.0.098)

CbB has been updated to work with the new Cakewalk Product Center.

Offline activation is now available via Product Center.

Improvements to sign in process with new activation response and error pages. Signing in to BandLab no longer redirects you to the BandLab portal after sign in.

Cakewalk no longer automatically launches the browser to sign in at app startup.

The Sonar promotional window should not appear when running CbB offline (at this time).

Updates for Sonar promotional window content.

Fixed problems with unresponsive Sonar promotional window.

Fixes for analytics and app startup.

Fixes for in-app updates.

Edited by ptheisen

So, what if I go more than a month without using Cakewalk by Bandlab?  Will it still allow me to activate it when I go to use it next time?  Will I have to reinstall or do I have to make sure I check in at least once a month to keep it?

I sometimes go more than a month between using it.

?John B

Dropping from six months to one month cuts the amount of time CbB will work from the time the server stops activating it. They won’t have a bunch of people out there still using it for 6 months. 30 days later, all dead.

@Johnbee58 today I fired up my “office rig”, it’s been offline well over a month. I launched CbB and sure enough, I got two toasts (or whatever they are called). One “there is an updated version available” and number two “you must reactivate”. That one has a button “sign in to BandLab” I did and CbB reactivated flawlessly. Then I updated to 2024.7, again flawlessly. One note I always “open folder” and close CbB before I run the update.

BTW, did the exact same thing in Sonar, it all went flawless. So as @Bristol_Joneseysaid; “Pretty sure you’ll be ok”

HTH,

t

• Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 1:29 AM, Terry Kelley said:

Dropping from six months to one month cuts the amount of time CbB will work from the time the server stops activating it. They won’t have a bunch of people out there still using it for 6 months. 30 days later, all dead.

Yep.

Hard to have any faith at all in the longevity of this product now.