Step Sequencer feature request

Hi. One can assign a different velocity for each step in a row, and different velocities between rows.

But, this is not possible for panning. Only one panning set can be used between all the rows. See screenshot 1, showing the panning for a row. Screenshot 2 shows the panning for another row, but it displays the same panning from the previous row. If I were to change it here, then the change would reflect in all the other rows too.

Please, it will be a great upgrade if panning can also be made independent between rows.

step 1.png

step 2.png

I do believe the step sequencer is just a very basic tool and was designed so you could create simple midi patterns to be used in a track. I use it mostly to make drum patterns. But I’ve also used it to create synth patterns sort of like arpeggios. 
What I do is create patterns and then bounce to clips. 
I then use the patterns as normal midi data which I can edit as well as add different effects and things like panning. 
If it’s drums the panning is done in the instrument GUI. 
If I want to say, add a sweeping panning to just the hi hat I will automate it. 

• Like 1

+1 With so many free FX out there, it is often simplest to apply an audio FX to the output of whatever you are doing that doesn't have that feature internally (it is actually fairly common to find missing features you want to use). Automation tracks (for panning) are probably the simplest solution for what you want in this case.

Melda has MAutopan as part of their FreeFXBundle (you only need the free version of that), which is worth considering if you want extreme precision on panning (such as every other beat, or even ramping pans around during playback). An FX similar to that allows real-time adjustment to "test things" without having to deal with automation tracks that might not have the granularity you require.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

All CC's such as Pan, Modulation etc are channel wide, whereas velocity is specific to a particular note.

There's nothing we can do about this - it's the MIDI spec.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately MIDI instruments only respond (via MIDI, anyway) to global panning messages. So you can tell it to pan a certain amount on a particular beat, but it will pan all of the notes that it's playing on that beat the same.

The way around that is to use an instrument with its own mixer. You can then use automation to control the mixer. Most drum plug-ins have mixers or at least volume and pan control of individual instruments.

• 2 weeks later...