The midi wheel doesn't do it

Hi everyone.

I cannot get the wheel to bend a note's pitch by a full octave or two. In the snapshot, you'll see the wheel envelope going down all the way to -8192, but the pitch still doesn't drop from D4 to D3. 

Can someone please tell me if I'm missing something?

wheel.png

8191up - 0 - 8192dn is the data range limit in PRV.  The bend range is set by the synth, not CbB and is usually 2 semitones.

Dimension Pro bend range is adjustable from 0 semitones to 24 each direction.  So if you pick 24, then 8191 will give you 24 semitones or 2 octaves.  4096 will give you 12. etc.

If the synth's range is unchangeable, you can increase the range to 4 semitones one-way by placing a wheel controller before the note to change it.

So, to bend a D4 note down to a Bb3:
1. Place the note as a C4  (D4 & Bb3 notes for reference)
2. Insert a wheel controller just before it @ +8191 to make it a D4
3. Insert another controller @ +8191 where you want to start the bend
4. Insert a controller @ -8192 where you want to end the bend
5. Insert a zero controller at the end of the note

bend1.jpg.5cb510efa3112382571c8e64dadec564.jpg

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 5

Pitch Bend range needs to be set in what ever VST synth you are using.

Some you can set this, some you can't. 

Some can even have independent up and down values.

For instance, if you are using TT-S or any GM/XG synth, sending RPN 0 {x times 128} to a given track where x is the number of semitones required, with change the pitch bend range on those synths.

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Promidi said:

For instance, if you are using TT-S or any GM/XG synth, sending RPN 0 {x times 128} to a given track where x is the number of semitones required, with change the pitch bend range on those synths.

I added the RPN envelope for my track (see screenshot), but I'm not sure how to add the specs you mentioned {x times 128}.

rpn.png

1 minute ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

I added the RPN envelope for my track (see screenshot), but I'm not sure how to add the specs you mentioned {x times 128}.

rpn.png

Which VST are you using - Make sure it can actually respond to RPN 0 MIDI Events.

The best way (short of a CAL script) to enter an RPN MIDI event is via the Event List View.

Enter a dummy MIDI event where you want to put the RPN MIDI event.  Then change the Event type to RPN. Data to 0.  Make the value 128 times the number of semitones you want.  See image

For instance, for a 5 semitones shift, the value would be 128 times 5, which is 640.

Note: I have actually written a CAL script that allows you to enter the value in actual semitones.  This script is specific to my system.  It might work on yours.  I wrote the script because there were many times I wanted to change the pitch bend range on a given track.

image.png

Enter GM RPN Pitch Bend Range.CAL

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Promidi said:

Note: I have actually written a CAL script that allows you to enter the value in actual semitones.  This script is specific to my system.  It might work on yours.  I wrote the script because there were many times I wanted to change the pitch bend range on a given track.

Thank you very much! This is a huge help. It works. It seems like one can run a cal script only once -- is that true?

Edited by Cobus Prinsloo

15 minutes ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

Aah, now it all makes sense. I was able to change the pitch range in my soft synths and it worked! Only one, FM8, doesn't seem to change, unless I'm doing something wrong (see screenshot)

FM8 is one of those synths where you have to do it in the synth.

That being said, if you want to do it in the PRV, you can add an NRPN event and look for Pitch Mod FB Up and Pitch Mod FB DN.  The edit the value in the Edit List View.

To get the required bend in FM8, the formula for the NRPN value is 8319 + 128 time x, where x is the number of semitones.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

I'm using an old one - FM8. It's the only one that doesn't seem to change its pitch range inside the synth.

You can change the pitch bend range inside FM8.

In this example, I have set the Pitch Bend Up range to 8 semitones, and the Pitch Bend Dn range to -2 semitones

image.png.95b97d98fc21c1cef007e8ec123e7ae5.png

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 2

It has 2 up ranges??? ?

Looks like you might be able to automate the Tune knob as well?

For fun, synths like SI Bass have a slide knob where 2 or more notes can be overlapped to create a bend as far as you want, and a time knob to control how fast the bend occurs.

Edited by sjoens

On 7/24/2024 at 12:30 PM, Promidi said:

You can change the pitch bend range inside FM8.

In this example, I have set the Pitch Bend Up range to 8 semitones, and the Pitch Bend Up range to -2 semitones

Thank you, thank you! That is quite a hidden setting. I would never have found it myself.

• Like 1