CbB 2024.07 Feedback

Hi all - please use this topic to post feedback specific to the 2024.07 release. Release-specific feedback is valuable to us, and consolidating it in a single topic is extremely helpful.

We request that  discussion in this thread be restricted to issues directly concerning this release, to make it easier for us to assist users. For other topics, kindly use the feature request section or create new posts.  Off topic messages will be deleted.

Thanks in advance!

2024.07 Release Notes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

And since we're talking about instrument tracks, I'm missing a very annoying configuration possibility. At most, you can view and modify the MIDI input, AUDIO output, channel such as bank and MIDI patch. Thanks for that. But it is impossible to choose the AUDIO input of the virtual instrument as for a normal AUDIO track. I understand that this is limited to the instrument in question, but sometimes it is useful to be able to choose the audio output of it. This missing function is annoying because you must first divide the instrument track, correct the audio input and recreate an instrument track. It's embarassing ;)

Posted (edited)

essentially each track is mono or stereo. so  i can select the number outputs and assign them without having to do the separate audio + instrument setup. then assign a MIDI track as needed.

image.png.96f0ef1bad2f8b67bbfe71910180d857.png 

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Thanks Glenn, I know the principle. But I'm afraid it's impossible to create a multi-output instrument (I've used it all day long) to force clients to transit to Cakewalk Sonar. This explains the “Regression”. I'm waiting for the first feedback from the user before updating.

And for the suggestion. Sometimes I need to change my audio input on the fly. It would be perfect to be able to do it directly in the Instruments track without having to split it and recreate it. This is important enough to me that it's something that might make me jump straight to Cakewalk Sonar.

Sans titre-1.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not understanding this regression... does this mean the option is grayed out, or does it mean they've simplified the process?  To be honest, I rarely if ever use the flyout menu to add tracks/synths, I've always used the programs top menu to do most of everything except things I know keyboard codes for.  Anyone care to explain in simplest terms what this change means?  Thanks

Out of curiosity, I'm just letting you know what happened recently using this version.

I tried to open a project generated in the previous version and the application always crashed. I tried this a few times, opening other projects that I had recently closed, trying to overcome the problem in this specific project.

Tired of trying this way, I had the "light" to open the project with the new SONAR (not activated). Surprise: the project was fully open.

More surprises. I closed the project in SONAR (new) and tried to open it in this version.

Surprise: YES, it opened completely!

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Helios.G said:

I'm not understanding this regression... does this mean the option is grayed out, or does it mean they've simplified the process?  To be honest, I rarely if ever use the flyout menu to add tracks/synths, I've always used the programs top menu to do most of everything except things I know keyboard codes for.  Anyone care to explain in simplest terms what this change means?  Thanks

It means we fixed an issue that was working previously, but had broken in the previous release. It should be working properly in this update.

• Like 7

Just now, Jonathan Sasor said:

It means we fixed an issue that was working previously, but had broken in the previous release. It should be working probably in this update.

Thanks for the reply Jonathan, I was holding up updating my main rig till I understood it, appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helios.G said:

Thanks for the reply Jonathan, I was holding up updating my main rig till I understood it, appreciate it.

Likewise. I thought for a second we were going to get gradual minor crippling of CbB to make Sonar more appealing...

• Like 1

So just to be 100% clear, with the update I can still assign multiple outputs from a single VST instrument instance to different tracks?  And this won't break any current projects or templates that do this?  I do this all the time with drum instruments, so it's pretty important that it will still work.

It sounds like the only change is if I put in a new instrument via right click, "insert instrument...", "advanced", "instrument track per output".

4 hours ago, A Tolerable Quietude said:

So just to be 100% clear, with the update I can still assign multiple outputs from a single VST instrument instance to different tracks?  And this won't break any current projects or templates that do this?  I do this all the time with drum instruments, so it's pretty important that it will still work.

It sounds like the only change is if I put in a new instrument via right click, "insert instrument...", "advanced", "instrument track per output".

Yes, this update just fixed an issue where the checkbox to create an instrument track per output was not available in the Add Track flyout. It won't impact your existing project's routing.

• Like 6

Hi,

I just installed version 2024.07 and am having issues, as we say, with it.  I'm wondering if the issues are caused by the update or if the recent Windows updates have blown things up again.

1) To import an audio file, I used to be able to drag the file onto a track. I can't make that work now. When I drag a file over the tracks pane, I get an icon that shows that I can't drop the file there.  Since I use lots of imported files to produce a program, that's a real inconvenience for me.  I don't know it this is Cakewalk or Windows update related.

2) ASIO no longer works. If I open its panel, there is a red letter x next to the playback part. And I can't set the playback timing or input to ASIO.

3) Until this update, when I created a new project, I was presented with a different (and much better) dialog box to set up the project. I can live with this, but it's further evidence that some things have changed.

I rely on the program for the production of a Los Angeles radio broadcast, so I'm hoping that you have some insights as to what's up. If it is caused by your update, do you have a way for me to go back to the previous version?  If it is related to a Windows update, I might be able to uninstall the latest release.

Either way, I would really appreciate you're commenting on this so that I have an idea of what I need to do in order to get these issues fixed. You've done great work on the program and I know that updates can cause problems. As a friend of mine used to say, "That which is different is not the same."

Thanks

John

8 hours ago, John Santana said:

Hi,

I just installed version 2024.07 and am having issues, as we say, with it.  I'm wondering if the issues are caused by the update or if the recent Windows updates have blown things up again.

1) To import an audio file, I used to be able to drag the file onto a track. I can't make that work now. When I drag a file over the tracks pane, I get an icon that shows that I can't drop the file there.  Since I use lots of imported files to produce a program, that's a real inconvenience for me.  I don't know it this is Cakewalk or Windows update related.

2) ASIO no longer works. If I open its panel, there is a red letter x next to the playback part. And I can't set the playback timing or input to ASIO.

3) Until this update, when I created a new project, I was presented with a different (and much better) dialog box to set up the project. I can live with this, but it's further evidence that some things have changed.

I rely on the program for the production of a Los Angeles radio broadcast, so I'm hoping that you have some insights as to what's up. If it is caused by your update, do you have a way for me to go back to the previous version?  If it is related to a Windows update, I might be able to uninstall the latest release.

Either way, I would really appreciate you're commenting on this so that I have an idea of what I need to do in order to get these issues fixed. You've done great work on the program and I know that updates can cause problems. As a friend of mine used to say, "That which is different is not the same."

Thanks

John

Have you changed CbB to run as Administrator?   This would certainly explain the drag & drop issue, and could be contributing to the other issues.

On 7/8/2024 at 7:53 PM, John Santana said:

Hi,

There are no functional changes other than a few of maintenance updates. You should post a video. The new project dialog has certainly not changed in many years.

Re asio it looks like something has affected your driver. Does it work in other programs? 

Posting a video may be more informative.