Is there a way to "try" the new Sonar on the same system as the free CBL before committing to the subscription?

Do we have to uninstall the free version if we install the new on, will it overwrite the free one or parts of it?

Will there be conflicts if we have both installed?

Is there a demo or 'try before buy' option on Sonar?

2 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Cakewalk by Bandlab nd Cakewalk Sonar are completely separate installations

Exactly this. Sonar installs as a new application alongside Cakewalk by BandLab. Same as Cakewalk by BandLab installs alongside SONAR Platinum and all other previous versions. 

You can try the new version without a subscription by simply downloading it at https://www.cakewalk.com/sonar. Demo mode just prevents saving/exporting.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Same old graphics problems (crossfade glitches) on this version. Why?

Hopefully the autosave is quicker and doesn't cripple the workflow every time it runs(excruciating), but i won't be able to tell that unless i buy, which i won't, because the graphics are a major issue. This is a shame, i had high hopes of this getting fixed, otherwise this is a great program which is smartly designed. 

I have submitted tickets about the crossfade issue before and it was acknowledges that the program should NOT behave like this.

But it's not fixed.

1 minute ago, Mark D. said:

I'd enjoy hearing more from others who downloaded Sonar and tried it vs. the latest update of Bandlab.

Function wise it's practically the same. There are a few new features - Mike Enjo has done a summary of these on his Creative Sauce page.

But the gui is now based on vector graphics which at the moment aren't 3D, which a lot of users don't like.

I happen to like it. After a few days working with it I came to appreciate the clean lines everywhere.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

But the gui is now based on vector graphics which at the moment aren't 3D, which a lot of users don't like.

I don't think it's a case of liking / not liking but for me at least it makes it harder to work with during long sessions so it's more of a practical thing. 

If was flat and easier to read I'd be fine with it, but it isn't IMHO 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I don't think it's a case of liking / not liking but for me at least it makes it harder to work with during long sessions so it's more of a practical thing. 

If was flat and easier to read I'd be fine with it, but it isn't IMHO 

Have you experimenting with the different colour themes? There are several to choose from. I like this one

image.thumb.png.27bb560604acc8261d08f8c687c5c91e.png

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey

9 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Have you experimenting with the different colour themes? There are several to choose from. I like this one

Yes, I've tried all of them.

I am a lifelong Mercury user since whichever version it first introduced with many years ago.  Even before themes were introduced the basic GUI was closer looking to Mercury than anything else so it's kinda been the default since the dawn of the App. Mercury Classic is obviously the closest design but it's the flatness that bugs me not the colours. 

I don't like dark GUI's nor overly colourful ones. I feel no need to colour anything, I don't even use the console view for anything other than looking at buses .   

On 6/28/2024 at 7:37 PM, Green Needle said:

Same old graphics problems (crossfade glitches) on this version. Why?

Because the underlying code that determines what should be drawn in any given situation hasn't changed, only the way it's drawn. I've previously reported a number of crossfade-related display issues that have been fixed. What are the specific scenarios/steps where you're seeing problems?

Wow - I think that new Mixer view looks REALLY cool! Looks 'cleaner' and more streamlined to me.

As soon as (if ever) a perpetual license is offered - I'm back In.

For now, it's off to ProTools, Cubase, Luna and Bitwig.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jmmatt1 said:

As soon as (if ever) a perpetual license is offered - I'm back In.

for now, i just gave up my two of my weekly Starbuck grande decaf no-fat grass-fed goat milk mocolatta with vanilla caramel to cover the $15/ month... ? 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/1/2024 at 11:45 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

for now, i just gave up my two of my weekly Starbuck grande decaf no-fat grass-fed goat milk mocolatta with vanilla caramel to cover the $15/ month... ? 

Given the crap you get from Starbucks passing off as coffee I can guarantee you that you're getting a supremely better deal with Sonar ?

• Like 6
  • Haha 6