Clip color

Emanu3le85

Question

Is there a way to change the starting position when opening a vst? by default it opens the plugins in the top left corner. I would like to understand if I can make them appear in the center of the screen from the first opening.

Is it possible to change the default color of the clips? I can't find the wording in "colors".

small nonsense but which gives me less stress when I do songwriting.

Edited by Emanu3le85

20 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, treesha said:

I think in the clip inspector there is an option to change the clip color

I meant the base color of all clips when you record.

If you change the color from the inspector it will only be for that particular clip, but if you record again the basic color will return (dark grey) I wanted to know if I can directly change the default color

26 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

in general, the clips use the track color setting:

image.png.44d9dc8f464e1b961477da9b4008116c.png

in the preferences, i check the "show strip colors" to make the tracks use the color (the small knurb on the left end is where you select the color for the track).

image.png.b1f892fe3aea750ee6f303692741cd36.png

I didn't mean to remove the colors from the tracks but to change the standard dark gray of the newly recorded clips or automations

so you're saying the track color is not applied to the new clips after you're done recording them? or you're saying that while you're recording they're dark gray? for the former - turn on the track colors. for the latter? no idea possibly a feature request.

10 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

so you're saying the track color is not applied to the new clips after you're done recording them? or you're saying that while you're recording they're dark gray? for the former - turn on the track colors. for the latter? no idea possibly a feature request.

exactly, when I record they are dark gray which is the same color as the midi and audio clips in your screenshot.

I thought I could change that standard color for any clip without having to change it every time but make it permanent

2 hours ago, Emanu3le85 said:

by default it opens the plugins in the top left corner. I would like to understand if I can make them appear in the center of the screen from the first opening.

Once you save a project with a plugin UI in a different position, that position will be the new default. You can achieve the same for completely new projects by saving a tempate with some plugin moved to the preferred position (not sure if this persists with no plugins in the template). Workspaces may also recall I changed default position - I haven't tested that.

EDIT: Project and Track Templates can also be used to define default clip colors, and the Clip Properties tab in the Track Inspector allows independently specifying custom foreground (waveform/notes) and background colors.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Once you save a project with a plugin UI in a different position, that position will be the new default. You can achieve the same for completely new projects by saving a tempate with some plugin moved to the preferred position (not sure if this persists with no plugins in the template). Workspaces may also recall I changed default position - I haven't tested that.

EDIT: Project and Track Templates can also be used to define default clip colors, and the Clip Properties tab in the Track Inspector allows independently specifying custom foreground (waveform/notes) and background colors.

even if I set the central position, it seems that sometimes it no longer maintains the previous position and returns to the left perhaps when I close the vst window

1 hour ago, Emanu3le85 said:

exactly, when I record they are dark gray which is the same color as the midi and audio clips in your screenshot.

I thought I could change that standard color for any clip without having to change it every time but make it permanent

ah you want the background of the clip to change, in my exmaple the content of the clip follows the color. David has the idea on the color of the clip background so setting it. if that isn't working, it may also be that the new Sonar themes are not quite there yet 🙂 

3 hours ago, Emanu3le85 said:

even if I set the central position, it seems that sometimes it no longer maintains the previous position

The new position should persist for the session but will reset on re-opening the project if it isn't re-saved.

Not sure if this is what your asking about...

CbB and Old SONAR have this in Preferences:
recordcolors.JPG.717875e51f8b02877a9b66d10b47dbf0.JPG

New Sonar does not!

Would be nice if OPs say which version they're using since CbB and Sonar are extremely different in many areas.

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

Not sure if this is what your asking about...

CbB and Old SONAR have this in Preferences:
recordcolors.JPG.717875e51f8b02877a9b66d10b47dbf0.JPG

New Sonar does not!

Would be nice if OPs say which version they're using since CbB and Sonar are extremely different in many areas.

I'm clear that I'm referring to CbB, I wanted to change the standard background of the clips but I still can't, if I open the color preferences but I can't find the exact wording for the clip background

3 hours ago, Emanu3le85 said:

I'm clear that I'm referring to CbB

Nothing in the OP indicates that.  

19 hours ago, Emanu3le85 said:

Is there a way to change the starting position when opening a vst? by default it opens the plugins in the top left corner. I would like to understand if I can make them appear in the center of the screen from the first opening.

AFAIK there's no way to change it.  Once you move it tho, it will reopen at the new location as David said.

19 hours ago, Emanu3le85 said:

Is it possible to change the default color of the clips? I can't find the wording in "colors".

Yes.  Search for "clip" or "clip background".  The main gray clip background is not listed in Preferences but it is listed in Theme Editor.

17 hours ago, Emanu3le85 said:

I meant the base color of all clips when you record.

I wanted to know if I can directly change the default color

In CbB, record colors are displayed for you in the screenshot I posted above.  I used the search word "record".  The 3rd one changes the default record clip background.  Unless you changed it or are using a custom theme, the record clip background default should be dark red until recording is finished, then it turns gray.  The gray background is not listed in Preferences but it is listed in Theme Editor.

Once you change a color, save the color set with a new name so it can be recalled later without altering the default color sets.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, sjoens said:

Nothing in the OP indicates that.  

AFAIK there's no way to change it.  Once you move it tho, it will reopen at the new location as David said.

Yes.  Search for "clip" or "clip background".  The main gray clip background is not listed in Preferences but it is listed in Theme Editor.

In CbB, record colors are displayed for you in the screenshot I posted above.  I used the search word "record".  The 3rd one changes the default record clip background.  Unless you changed it or are using a custom theme, the record clip background default should be dark red until recording is finished, then it turns gray.  The gray background is not listed in Preferences but it is listed in Theme Editor.

Once you change a color, save the color set with a new name so it can be recalled later without altering the default color sets.

that's why I couldn't find it, because it's in the theme editor not in the color settings, in fact in the color preferences I changed many things but I couldn't really find the background clip, as regards the position of the vst, yes at the beginning if I put them in the center they remain but then something happens and they reappear in the left corner, for this reason I have always wanted a vst rack system like Reason 13, that is, to make the vst appear directly in the Sonar synth rack, so by scrolling down you would have all the virtual instruments visible , but perhaps these are just my perversions

Edited by Emanu3le85

They are always in the Synth Rack.  Just click the synth icon on the left side to open them.

Otherwise you can move the synth to the Multidock so it's only a tab away when you want it and out of sight when you don't.    Click the tab to open.  Hit the D key to return to Track View.

This is exactly what they did to Console View and all the rest of the views.  They no longer have their own views.  There's a way that they can but it's awkward and clunky to navigate.

Edited by sjoens

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, sjoens said:

They are always in the Synth Rack.  Just click the synth icon on the left side to open them.

Otherwise you can move the synth to the Multidock so it's only a tab away when you want it and out of sight when you don't.    Click the tab to open.  Hit the D key to return to Track View.

This is exactly what they did to Console View and all the rest of the views.  They no longer have their own views.  There's a way that they can but it's awkward and clunky to navigate.

I meant a synth rack like Reason Studio13 where everything is there without having to click the open button, the sonar synth rack is an interfacing of the vsti but you don't see them stacked graphically one under the other, thanks for your advice

Edited by Emanu3le85

Posted (edited)

this is the reason rack, I mean something similar only for the vsti used in the project, for me it would be very useful because i do a lot of electronic music songwriting I would be much faster if I had all the synths available in a rack without having to open and close windows

16571256_800.jpg

Edited by Emanu3le85
  • Great Idea 1

i just open the ones i'm working with and cycle through them. this way i can tuck them away in the synth rack if i'm not editing something, and i get the full screen or scalable version so i'm not squinting so much 🙂 and if you simply minimise the synth window, then clicking to open it is nearly instantaneous... same for FX... of course if you had a couple of screens you could dedicate one for stacking the synth windows...

Multidock can be problematic if synth names are a mile long or using BitBridge with some 32 bit plugins which can't be docked.  jBridge is better for that.

Edit: Most BitBridge plugs can be docked by holding Alt while opening the UI (Shift for X3), then docking the little bar that opens behind the UI.

Edited by sjoens

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

apro semplicemente quelli con cui sto lavorando e li scorro. in questo modo posso riporli nel rack del sintetizzatore se non sto modificando qualcosa, e ottengo la versione a schermo intero o scalabile in modo da non strizzare gli occhi così tanto 🙂  e se riduci semplicemente a icona la finestra del sintetizzatore, fai clic per aprire è quasi istantaneo... lo stesso per FX... ovviamente se avessi un paio di schermi potresti dedicarne uno per impilare le finestre del synth...

I have used Reason for many years and am not used to individual windows, with the Behrringher X Touch, I memorized the synth opening on a "function" button now when I select the track I open the synth directly from the X touch, I have the second monitor but I use it for the mixer, putting there the vst is a bit inconvenient because it is a bit far away

Edited by Emanu3le85
  • Like 1