What do you do when your waiting for the air conditioner to shut off so you can record vocals?

I read stuff like this while trying to harmonize with the AC...

This mode does not appear frequently in the world’s music, the notable exception being in jazz, where, thanks to its amenable harmonic nature, it is extremely useful in modulation. Jazz musicians call it the “Lydian-dominant” mode because it is a cross between Lydian and the “dominant seventh” mode, which is a nickname for Mixolydian. More practically, it is called “sharp-four flat-seven” (or “aug-four minor-seven” more recently and more correctly). Phrases such as example 12.5 are typical in bebop. Example 12.5

Indeed, jazz players usually cut their teeth by learning to improvise fluently in this mode in all twelve keys—a high-literacy stunt few jazz musicians have ever regretted.

Screenshot_20240621_210405_Kindle~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240621_210628_Kindle.jpg

Turn it off. Live without it. You don't need it at all.

I live in Florida and don't use the AC for a number of reasons:

1. I gig and spend a lot of time doing activities outdoors. Seasonal acclimation is slow. If you live in AC, you will never get acclimated to the heat. — If I lived in an AC refrigerated box, I'd not only suffer more outdoors, but I'd be more prone to heat stroke or heat exhaustion when outside.
  2. My electric bills are much lower
  3. I'm breathing fresh air, instead of recycled air, slowly getting lower in oxygen content
  4. AC units are the biggest residential usage of electricity for most people. The power grid emits CO2, plus the AC unit creates a heat island outdoors. Both of these contribute to global warming, which makes the world hotter.  — That means your AC unit has to work harder, which uses more electricity and makes the heat island hotter. — ||: That means your AC works even hotter, heating the planet even more. :|| (repeat ad infinitium.)

To cool my home in an environmentally friendly and money saving way, I did this: (1) Painted my roof white. When I was a child in Pre-AC Florida, everybody had a white roof, because it is a cool roof. (2) Planted shade trees all around my house, but not over the roof itself. — The white roof reflects the heat, and the air rises. Then the cooler air from under the trees rushes in to take the place of the hot air. No matter how hot it gets outdoors, it rarely gets over 80 degrees inside. Fans take care of the rest.

That's how people in Florida cooled their houses when I was very young, and I see no reason to change now. When I gig outdoors, and other bands are suffering, I'm OK, because I'm seasonally acclimated. Over 99% of the humans who have lived on the Earth did fine without AC, I see no reason for me to live with it.

Of course, that's just me.

Notes ♫

• Like 3