Cakewalk SONAR beta testers questions:

I am considering a dive into the new SONAR just for keeping up to date.  However, I have a question for the beta testers:  Is there a significant feature(s) or update (other than fixes) that make SONAR standout from CbB?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Wait, I guess you guys can't answer any questions because of the "Agreement" you made with Bandlab.  Who can we ask, Bandlab?  I know Noel is usually out here after a release.  Should we wait for him?

Kind regards,

tecknot

P.S.  Did you guys (beta testers) have to sign an agreement with Bandlab?

I’ve been using Sonar since it’s release to the public as a part of BandLab Membership; back in March. Is Sonar, a “quantum leap”; no. It’s just another step “forward” the same as each new update to CbB has been. 
There is a major shift in the interface, as it is now vector based. I commented early that it appeared “flat”; I compared it to Sonar 8.5. I’m used to it now. Evidently it “streamlines” the drawing of graphics and speeds things up. The bakers assure us it’s lighter and faster; they’re the experts. 

4 hours ago, tecknot said:

Did you guys (beta testers) have to sign an agreement with Bandlab

I’m sure that the beta testers all have signed NDA’s, that’s how these sort of things work. 

5 hours ago, tecknot said:

Do you have to be online to use SONAR?

NO! However a “sign into BandLab” nag pops up, but that’s so you can use some online BL resources. I’ve never explored these and only sign in to “authorize” once a month (I opted for the $15 a month membership). Offline authorization is available.

HTH,

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, tecknot said:

I am considering a dive into the new SONAR just for keeping up to date.  However, I have a question for the beta testers:  Is there a significant feature(s) or update (other than fixes) that make SONAR standout from CbB?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

tecknot

If you take the time to read the forums the simple answer is yes and no.

The yes significant part is that in Cakewalk Sonar the GUI is now created using vector graphics. This may not seem a big thing now, but will allow for faster future development, due to us8ng new development tools.

The no part is not a bad thing as functionally it is identical to CbB with one small additional the X-Sampler. But things will come to it.

No you don't have to be online but will need to reauthorisation/reactive regularly. 

7 hours ago, tecknot said:

Wait, I guess you guys can't answer any questions because of the "Agreement" you made with Bandlab.  Who can we ask, Bandlab?  I know Noel is usually out here after a release.  Should we wait for him?

Kind regards,

tecknot

P.S.  Did you guys (beta testers) have to sign an agreement with Bandlab?

The answer to that is probably, I never known BETA testers who haven't signed an NDA. But who knows only they do and they can't say anything 🤷 

• Like 3

The UI represents a substantial amount of effort, so that's taken a fair amount of time, but there's also numerous other smaller changes and workflow enhancements throughout the app. The most recent update includes a significant improvement for Sonar's sidechain handling for instance. 

As mentioned, beta testers are under NDA and can't discuss anything related there, but you can download Sonar and see things for yourself as well. There's a Bandlab Membership trial, but the unauthorized mode for Sonar just blocks saving/export, so you can actually evaluate it for yourself.

• Like 7

Here is a doc that highlights some of the features in Sonar.
It needs to be updated and doesn't include XSampler and some other new features yet.

Besides this, there have been tons of performance and usability enhancements as well as many hundreds of bug fixes since CbB. Just considering the UX improvements this would be the most significant Cakewalk release since Sonar X1.

To give you an idea of ongoing work here is the changelog from our recent internal release.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2