How to Uninstall Cakewalk by Bandlab while Preserving Platinum or other prior versions

Has anyone uninstalled Cakewalk by Bandlab in a manner that does not impact prior installations, such as Sonar Platinum?

I tried searching around for this but didn't find what I was looking for.

I would like to revert to my perpetual licensed version since everything I've done in CbB seems to work fine in Platinum.

I don't want to impact/ruin the Platinum install, however, i.e. due to shared files, etc.

Others may be looking into this as well due to the recent announcement of Subscription only.

Thanks for any information that can be shared.

Each is a totally separate install. 
There are some shared folders that are not removed during a plain uninstall using the Windows App list. 
You have to physically remove the shared folders. 
I even did a Clean uninstall of both CbB and Sonar as instructed by staff because it seemed Sonar was crashing due to corruption. 
I then re installed just Sonar and everything was working fine including all my goodies from my legacy products. 
I still haveSonar  8.5, x3 installed. I always install them first when re building. Then I run CCC and install my goodies. I don’t bother with Splat as CbB has all that stuff. 

• Like 1

Thank you - that is very helpful information! I suspected that was the case but it's good to verify things.

I read later in a different post that CbB may be sticking around and not getting shut off?

So maybe I will just leave it there for now.  CbB is a really great product - I just thought it was going to be shut down so figured I'd remove it (since Platinum still works well for me).

Thanks again

First, when I uninstalled CbB it looked all okay in Platinum. But after some time I found out one thing: TH3 was missing, although I had it in a separate location and it was authorized without CbB. No big deal to get it running again, but irksome!

Other than that I did not find any issues. The newer common files (from CbB) did work all the time for Platinum and so do they now!

Am I missing something? Why would you want to use Splat when you can use CbB?  
It seems we will still have Cakewalk for possibly a few more years. It is miles above Splat in enhancements and bug fixes and they are both the identical version. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Am I missing something? Why would you want to use Splat when you can use CbB?  
It seems we will still have Cakewalk for possibly a few more years. It is miles above Splat in enhancements and bug fixes and they are both the identical version. 

Splat has no nag screen every 20 days!

Posted (edited)

I agree CbB is very good (my favorite DAW hands down). I'm just concerned I'll be using it for some projects and then it will go dark...with a need to 'subscribe'. I read the recent postings. And things are certainly sounding more postive recently!

I never used Platinum that much (I was too pissed off at Gibson, LOL). I tried to convert to Cubase Pro and nearly gave up recording all together. CbB 'saved' me, so to speak...and I am grateful for that and all the great work the Devs have done. I just have personal issues with the licensing and phone-home authentication hook.

What exactly were the major issues with Platinum? It seems to run my CbB projects just fine. 

And please - what 'nag screen' is being removed from where?

Thanks all

Edited by jmmatt1

I rarely have seen a nag screen myself. I think you see it if your offline?  All I ever see is a toast every day telling me I’m Activated. 
Seems to only be an issue for a few. 

The Cakewalk people are not going to suddenly kill Cakewalk with out plenty of warning. Relax. 

I am predicting they are slowly making stuff ready and things will change for the better as time goes by. 
It’s a small team and this is a major changeover. 

As far as Splat goes there’s plenty of bugs but not everyone has a workflow that might reveal them. 
And personally I use a lot of the features that were added to CbB and don’t wish to go back 10 years in time. It’s totally unnecessary to do that. 
And don’t forget. There’s nothing stopping Bandlab from shutting down activation for Splat. 

Sonar is the real answer and the best solution and I'm willing to bide my time until it's for sale. Possibly by then it will have a Theme editor! 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2024 at 8:13 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

That prompt will be removed in a forthcoming CbB update.

Does that mean that validation requirement will be removed as well? Or just the visible reminder of the validation... 🙂

• Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Does that mean that validation requirement will be removed as well? Or just the visible reminder of the validation... 🙂

I asked directly and the reply was there will still be a activation once a month and it’s the small inconvenience of using free software. 

They will still want to know how many people are using CbB moving forward. 

5 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Cakewalk by BandLab will still require the periodic reauthorization. The in-your-face prompt about it was an unintended side effect of changing some stuff on the back end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Cakewalk by BandLab will still require the periodic reauthorization. The in-your-face prompt about it was an unintended side effect of changing some stuff on the back end.

I understand, thanks for the clarification. And sorry for contributing to the silly amount of posts regarding the subject... :)

A sticky thread about it could be something, eh? ;)

• Great Idea 1