Long distance move and new studio design.

Well, we're two weeks out from our big move to Portland, Oregon from Papillion, Nebraska. We've beenย  in this house for 25 years and raised two kids; I knew this would be a lot of work but I had ZERO idea of just how much stuff we'd have to go through! It started to wear on me in a big way - then I went to Peru for 9 days and did four nights of ayahuasca ceremonies with a master shaman. I'm feeling energized and ready to wrap this up! There is still much to do while dealing with contractors getting this house ready but I feel we're on course.

I've been without my studio for a few months now and I really miss it. I have a consult with Haverstick Designs (https://www.haverstickdesigns.com/) to design my studio for me next month. Do any of you know about this group or have another recommendation? I'm stoked to get to have this next one done professionally and I just need to find the right partner.

Back to packing...

22 minutes ago, smallstonefan said:

Forgot to say that the studio required 57 boxes to pack. ๐Ÿ™€

Imagine if all your plugins were actual hardware ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

Forgot to say that the studio required 57 boxes to pack. ๐Ÿ™€

Heh, I still have the memories of when I first moved up here!ย ๐Ÿ˜†

gearpile1.jpg

gearpile2.jpg

gearpile3.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Oh man I just want to open all those road cases and see what goodies are inside! ๐Ÿคฉ

I didnโ€™t count guitars in the box count. Iโ€™m taking those on the RV we booked one way to drive out there. Weโ€™re heading out two weeks from today. So tired of all the contractors in the house and everything torn up and just canโ€™t wait to get on the road.ย 

Edited by smallstonefan

Enjoy your summer in the PNW!

I used to hate summers in NE. Actually, come to think of it, winters weren't that great, either. Then again, they do observe a proper Autumn in the Midwest, a foreign concept in these parts.

• Haha 1

Summers are ridiculously hot and winters are crazy cold and very very monochrome. We really get the worst of it all without much to celebrate unless we get lucky and get a few weeks of fall.ย 
ย 

Iโ€™m not certain how Iโ€™ll respond to the lack of sunlight with all the rain but Iโ€™m committed to giving it a real go!

1 hour ago, smallstonefan said:

Iโ€™m not certain how Iโ€™ll respond to the lack of sunlight with all the rain but Iโ€™m committed to giving it a real go!

Simples.ย  LOTS of lights and plenty of time to stay inside and play music.

That said, before I moved up here I kept hearing "it rains all the time!" and yet, after 20+ years, I STILL haven't used any of the umbrellas I brought up here with me.ย  Don't like the weather?ย  Just wait 10 minutes.ย ๐Ÿ™‚

11 hours ago, craigb said:

Simples.ย  LOTS of lights and plenty of time to stay inside and play music.

That said, before I moved up here I kept hearing "it rains all the time!" and yet, after 20+ years, I STILL haven't used any of the umbrellas I brought up here with me.ย  Don't like the weather?ย  Just wait 10 minutes.ย ๐Ÿ™‚

That's encouraging Craig!ย 

Also - it was cloudy and rainy when we were up there last time but I could not believe the amount of ambient light. Here in Nebraska it would have been a dark and depressing day. I read that it's the moisture in the air from the ocean and the angle of the sun that causes light to disperse differently. You still needed sunglasses even though it was raining. With all the windows in the new house, I am optimistic! :)

The rain ain't so bad. In fact, neither Portland nor Seattle even make the list of the top 10 rainiest cities in the US. Take a trip up to Juneau if you want to see what real rain looks like. Best of all, we rarely have to shovel our precipitation.

ย 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

The rain ain't so bad. In fact, neither Portland nor Seattle even make the list of the top 10 rainiest cities in the US. Take a trip up to Juneau if you want to see what real rain looks like. Best of all, we rarely have to shovel our precipitation.

ย 

I was looking forward to no more snow and then I found out rain turns to snow at about 500 feet and our house is at 1,100. Then again, I saw some pictures and the snow is STUNNING up there and apparently only lasts for a three or four days. Compared to the 7 months of post-apocalyptic gray and the cold I'm used to, it sounds like a refreshing change. ๐Ÿ‘