How do E-cores work with the new Cakewalk Sonar?

Posted (edited)

I just found some free stuff that is very cool.

https://gpuimpulsereverb.de/demo/

This is a free GPU convolution reverb VST.

You do not need the demo because the VST is now freeware.

But one big rub, it does not come with convolution wave impulses.

Well, in comes Real Space...

If you own Real Space (from an old Cakewalk install) look in your Program Files and Cakewalk's VST folder and in the Real Space Folder you will  find folders with tons of convolution files in .wav format. 

Copy the 64 bit GPU Impulse Reverb VST .dll from the zip file to a VST folder on your system,

In Cakewalk Sonar click the gear icon in the VST and uncheck Enable Plugin DPI Awareness

Make sure you select your GPU in the GPU Impulse Reverb VST app

Load a Real Space convolution impulse wave into GPU Impulse Reverb VST.

When you run the GPU Impulse Reverb VST on a track open your Windows task manager and click on the GPU you selected.

You will see activity on the GPU when Cakewalk is playing the track with the GPU Impulse Reverb VST on it.

When you disable the GPU Impulse Reverb VST in the effects bin you will notice the GPU activity go to zero again.

Now you have GPU reverb for free (provided you own Real Space) 

You can buy Real Spaces complete at the link below but I am not sure that the impulses in this new version are still in .wav format. 

https://impulserecord.com/real-spaces-complete/

The link above is called Real Spaces while the old Cakewalks plugin was called Real Space.

I am not really certain that these two products are actually from the same vendor.

I remember way back when one convolution wave loaded into Cakewalk would lock up my computer fierce... 😄

Edited by RexRed

I see @RexRed you went for the minimal storages option just a few terabytes. Looks a good spec. I did initially have an i9 13900K but it went back as I couldn't get an acceptable latency and neither could the supplier. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

I see @RexRed you went for the minimal storages option just a few terabytes. Looks a good spec. I did initially have an i9 13900K but it went back as I couldn't get an acceptable latency and neither could the supplier. 

Can't have too few terabytes. 😄  So far my latency is great, maybe it is the Asus Motherboard chipset drivers that were released this month.

Edited by RexRed
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RexRed said:

Can't have too few terabytes. 😄  So far my latency is great, maybe it is the Asus Motherboard chipset drivers that were released this month.

True... but can be a PITA when it comes to backing up!  I used to be able to backup my whole system in an hour... it now takes over 6 hours, and I need a monster of a backup drive for the drive images.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

True... but can be a PITA when it comes to backing up!  I used to be able to backup my whole system in an hour... it now takes over 6 hours, and I need a monster of a backup drive for the drive images.

Local synced NAS is the answer, I mean you never turn anything off do you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

Local synced NAS is the answer, I mean you never turn anything off do you?

That used to be the case, but the difference in energy costs was surprising.  Turning everything off has reduced my fuel bills to around 1/3rd of what they once were.

The only devices I leave on now are a couple of Raspberry Pi's and a MeLe silent PC, both of which are very light on power.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

That used to be the case, but the difference in energy costs was surprising.  Turning everything off has reduced my fuel bills to around 1/3rd of what they once were.

The only devices I leave on now are a couple of Raspberry Pi's and a MeLe silent PC, both of which are very light on power.

Could you not hook a nice big NVMe drive to the Pi to use that as your NAS

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I use several cloud services to back up. If I change a file (add/delete) in a local folder, it syncs automatically with the cloud service.

Icloud, GoogleDrive, OneDrive and another service OpenDrive (offers unlimited space for like $9.99 per month).

I use these to provide data redundancy. I also keep a few drives on shelves in case of catastrophe.

I have music projects from way back with Cakewalk for MSDOS. YouTube video project files take up huge space.

I own 11,000 3D models and have tons of 3D projects.

And I play just about every video game when I am not working on art. 

Things that are cloud based I do not need to backup. My projects fill a lot of space.

I rely heavily on OneDrive and OpenDrive.

I have two more solid state drives that are not in my system because my new motherboard only came with 4 SATA ports.

SATA  PCIE card on the way from Amazon with 2 more ports.

This PC.jpg

Edited by RexRed

36 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Could you not hook a nice big NVMe drive to the Pi to use that as your NAS

Network transfer is way too slow for me on the Pi  - I'm lucky to get 11Mb/s on the PI vs 16GB/s with a portable drive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Network transfer is way too slow for me on the Pi  - I'm lucky to get 11Mb/s on the PI vs 16GB/s with a portable drive.

It seems the Raspberry Pi is your weakest link. One of my M.2 drives give me over 28GB/s read and 7GB/s write. M.2 drive have become affordable from back when I bought mine. My 4TB M.2 drive was around $500, now they are $200.

This is good for projects that need data fast. Loading 3D scenes and assets, recording/playback of audio tracks, video editing and game loading time. 

My M.2 drives are only PCIE 3.0 but my motherboard goes up to PCIE 4.0 M.2

My motherboard has 4 PCIE 3.0 M.2 slots.

My primary graphics card slot is PCIE 5.0.

Currently $1000 for an 8TB PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD.

$200 for a 4TB PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD. 

Edited by RexRed
  • Like 1