Where is the new Cakewalk Sonar?

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

I just read in another thread we are informed that the nag screen will be removed soon. This implies full access to Cakewalk forever But we will see. 

Just curious, but wouldn't that a long stretch to say just because they are removing a 'Nag' screen, that they are changing their minds and giving full access to CbB forever, don't want to be a Debbie Downer but that doesn't seem to follow?

To me it seems like drawing a very long bow.

Edited by Heath Row

I also asked a staff member in a PM and they said the same as in the announcement. There seems to be no plan to end Cakewalk for a long while yet. Why would they? That would mean literally millions of people would be let down in a big way and very pizzid off.  

Believe me, the development staff are 100% on our side. Show them support! They are  not in charge of the big decisions but I think they can make recommendations. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, John Vere said:

I just read in another thread we are informed that the nag screen will be removed soon. This implies full access to Cakewalk forever But we will see. 

The nag screen, yeah! But full access forever? This would change my mind about BL completely! In that case I would have to admit that my rating was absolutely wrong! But we'll see!

7 hours ago, Heath Row said:

I just read in another thread we are informed that the nag screen will be removed soon. This implies full access to Cakewalk forever But we will see

ok reading the latest posts it is clear that CBB needs to review the entire marketing sector.....in the latest press releases it is written that the one available with the members pass is a public beta...there is no other information, I remember that when I was a beta tester in the Gibson era, months passed from the beta to the release of the final version, having said that I continue to believe that there will be a full paid version, because I believe that the staff is made up of intelligent people

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GIM Productions said:

ok reading the latest posts it is clear that CBB needs to review the entire marketing sector.....in the latest press releases it is written that the one available with the members pass is a public beta...there is no other information, I remember that when I was a beta tester in the Gibson era, months passed from the beta to the release of the final version, having said that I continue to believe that there will be a full paid version, because I believe that the staff is made up of intelligent people

I don't think that is correct

"Cakewalk, a historic and pioneering name in digital audio workstations (DAWs), is excited to announce that Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar have exited public beta and are available worldwide exclusively through BandLab Membership."

https://bandlabtechnologies.com/news/cakewalk-software-exclusively-available-bandlab-membership/

Clearly states that Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar have exited Public beta.

Also that quote you used and attributed to me should actually be contributed to John Vere.

Edited by Heath Row
Formatting and link

7 hours ago, Heath Row said:

I don't think that is correct

"Cakewalk, a historic and pioneering name in digital audio workstations (DAWs), is excited to announce that Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar have exited public beta and are available worldwide exclusively through BandLab Membership."

https://bandlabtechnologies.com/news/cakewalk-software-exclusively-available-bandlab-membership/

Clearly states that Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar have exited Public beta.

Also that quote you used and attributed to me should actually be contributed to John Vere.

Yes, you're right, I think I read it wrong, but if so I'm even more worried

fingers crossed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GIM Productions said:

Yes, you're right, I think I read it wrong, but if so I'm even more worried

fingers crossed

About what? CbB lives on. What else do we need to know. No subscription- free! 

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

About what? CbB lives on. What else do we need to know. No subscription- free! 

I'm happy that you're so sure of Cakewalk's policy, but given the latest decisions made I'm not at peace, it seems to me that already now after a few days you have to reactivate CBB and this means that they can turn off the switch whenever they want, if they then guarantee us that Even if I don't purchase Sonar I will be able to continue working with CBB. I am the happiest person in the world.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GIM Productions said:

I'm happy that you're so sure of Cakewalk's policy, but given the latest decisions made I'm not at peace, it seems to me that already now after a few days you have to reactivate CBB and this means that they can turn off the switch whenever they want, if they then guarantee us that Even if I don't purchase Sonar I will be able to continue working with CBB. I am the happiest person in the world.

They have also stated that this constant need to reactivate will be switched off in the near future.

You are worrying needlessly

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

They have also stated that this constant need to reactivate will be switched off in the near future.

So are you saying that this is in addition to stopping the Nag Screen/Prompt, can you supply the link, it doesn't matter to me personally as I'm not a user, but I pass on information to others who are not in a position to get such information themselves and I don't want to be giving them any erroneous information. So a/the link to such information would be good.

Edited by Heath Row

56 minutes ago, Heath Row said:

So are you saying that this is in addition to stopping the Nag Screen/Prompt, can you supply the link, it doesn't matter to me personally as I'm not a user, but I pass on information to others who are not in a position to get such information themselves and I don't want to be giving them any erroneous information. So a/the link to such information would be good.

Nag screen and reactivation are the same thing.

If you search through the posts from the last couple of days you'll find it.

I don't think the 'Nag Screen' and the 'Authentication requirement' are the same thing at all!

I think the reply from one of the Dev's was misunderstood.

When CbB was the (only) product they offered, there was little likelihood of it being 'turned off'.  Now that a new version is available (by subscription), there is a greater risk of the company shutting down the old. That is, users could 'switch' to NuSonar - so Bandlab technically would NOT be leaving users 'stranded'. But it could force some users into needing to subscribe in order to retain access to their data. To me, this is a 'hostage negotiation tactic' of sorts. Whether they will actually do that or not is a bit moot - the fact remains they COULD do that.

Do you really want all of your work/intellectual property/creations/songs at the mercy of the whim of a corporation seeking profits? I do not.

I would like to see the Authentication Leash removed. I would even pay for that. I will never create new projects in CbB...and certainly wouldn't recommend that to anyone (when other options exist).

I appreciate that Bandlab has decided not to 'shut off' CbB...but it obviously still makes some users (besides myself) nervous. 

I would like to be able to run an isolated computer with CbB....say in 20 years from now. Will it still work? Probably not....but my Sonar Platinum will still be running....just as I have programs running on a 40+ year old Apple here. 

Is it really too much too ask? Perhaps it is. 

I don't expect Bandlab to remove the Authentication requirement. But I think that is a different thing than the 'nag screen' that was referenced in other posts. 

It would be nice if someone in a position of authority would clarify this.

I'm on the brink of just uninstalling CbB (despite it being my favorite DAW). I just can't risk my work being in the control of someone else, let alone a profit seeking company who cares not to provide any transparency.

Edited by jmmatt1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Well I directly PM's a staff member instead of second guessing all that seems spread over 40 pages here,  and their answer was very clear,

"  Hi John,

So the app still needs to auth at the 30 day interval, it just will do it silently rather than in your face. The current behavior was a byproduct of the older 6 month lease. 15 days heads up at 6 months is a big difference. The reauth is just part of the deal with getting free software. "

As well as I would guess they still need to keep track of who is using the software. My guess is also that at this point it is in the millions and they are not wishing to screw those users because that would be a huge mistake brand loyalty wise. Each and everyone of those people IS a potential future Sonar customer. 

I have at this point zero fear of now being shut out as I feel if you are just patient, keep using Cakewalk if you don't like the Backstage Pass option, and in less than a years time all will be a totally a different situation.  And it will be to the liking of 99.9 percent of those millions of loyal users.

Why do people fear the worst? This is just another transition. Go read the old forum from the end of 2016 forward. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Sad 1

That is what I thought, the 'Nag' is a separate entity to the Re activating/re-Authorizing. I couldn't understand how people were thinking that with the removal of the Nag, the re-authing/re-activating was also gone.

It's going to take a specific series of specific questions to clarify BL's long term intent with CbB. Bits and pieces aren't really clearing it up. But not through the developers -  only via Bandlab directly (as the developers have told us time and time again.)

Based on what we know so far, CbB will call home and at some unspecified date it will stop working. For now, it won't nag as much but it will check more often.

Edited by Terry Kelley

On 6/17/2024 at 8:25 PM, Terry Kelley said:

I'm sure we will get plenty of warning when they finally do announce they are killing CbB. I never thought they would do it abruptly and without warning.

Like we got plenty of warning when they changed the re-authorization period to 30 days?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2