Soniccouture Summer Sale 24: Up To 60% Off

cclarry

I very much regret having sold Canterbury Suitcase years ago, but haven't seen it for less than the usual 50% off since. Famous E is just not cutting it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cclarry said:

THAT was a real CRAZY DEAL!

Absolutely.
Paid $200 myself, glitch-wise, for five absolute beauties at $40 each:

The Canterbury Suitcase

Hammersmith Pro

All Saints Choir

Threnody Strings

Haunted Spaces

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

31 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Absolutely.
Paid $200 myself, glitch-wise, for five absolute beauties at $40 each:

The Canterbury Suitcase

Hammersmith Pro

All Saints Choir

Threnody Strings

Haunted Spaces

Me too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just realised that unlike on the SC website, at BestService everything but new releases is 60% off. So I grabbed a couple of things and might come back for more. 40 bucks for Broken Wurli is a STEAL. One of my all time favs.

• Like 7
  • Great Idea 1

19 minutes ago, jngnz said:

I just realised that unlike on the SC website, at BestService everything but new releases is 60% off. So I grabbed a couple of things and might come back for more. 40 bucks for Broken Wurli is a STEAL. One of my all time favs.

Come on, you can't talk about the Wurly and that deal and not share the link! Fixed it. 

https://www.bestservice.com/en/broken_wurli.html

I'm calling on my fellow Wurly aficionados to help me with this one.  I own  e-instruments Wurli (a 200A), Sky Box Audio's 145B as well as a few other commercial Wurli libraries that I wouldn't consider as good as those two. I think the e-instrument's Wurly is good, but dynamically, it's slightly lacking life -- which is a key part of what makes a real Wurly so special. The Broken Wurli demos sound A LOT better to my ears.

Does anyone own the e-instruments W and the Broken Wurli who can weigh in? The only other Wurly libraries that I think sound fantastic (just based on their audio demos, I haven't been able to actually try them out) are Sky Box's 200A and AcousticSamples' Wulie -- the latter having the best sounding demos of any Wurly library I have heard (of course, that's purely subjective; but this developer captured the tone and dynamics beautifully and, IMO, put in the perfect amount of key noise). The only downside of the AcousticSamples are that I really don't like the UVI user experience; I find Kontakt vastly superior (once again, that's completely subjective). 

From my experience getting to know developers and learn about the craftsmanship of some of their work there's a pretty vast difference in the skill sets and the recording skills and equipment used to record sampled instruments that I rarely find acknowledged by sample users, but I find it's very significant to the end result. Developers like SonicCouture are craftsman and perfectionists and I don't think that all of the developers and the libraries we discuss here are in their league. The co-founders have great backgrounds, having worked together making sample libraries at Yamaha back in the 90s. Take a look at the equipment they used to record this library -- Neumann and Siemens preamps to the AKG, Sennheiser, and Shure mics to capture a that iconic vintage sound from this instrument that many of us love.  When I rethink all of the libraries I've bought over the years, I think I would have been best off focusing my spending with maybe a dozen or so great sample developers. SonicCoture would certainly be among that group. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

You basically answered your own question. Soniccouture is your favourite developer's favourite developer. The best of the best.

That Sky Box 145B sounds lifeless next to Broken Wurli and Canterbury Suitcase makes Famous E sound like General MIDI.

Stop the Pavlov monologues and just go and buy it. Download it. Play it. Weep like a baby because it’s so f-ing beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't own it, but I did listen to the demo songs for the e-instrument Wurli. It's not horrible but not great either. In general, if a company has a substandard emulation of a real instrument they often try to sell you on the cool "sound design" aspects of the plug-in.  Also, nowhere does e=instruments mention the number of layers, which is essentially saying - not very many layers. Broken Wurli has 9 layers. Acoustic Samples' Wurlie has 10. Perhaps more so than other instruments, a Wurli needs a good transition between smooth and outright growl.

It is definitely a matter of personal taste, and this is going to sound a bit squishy, but for me, Acoustic Samples has the best Wurlitzer tone and Soniccouture's Broken Wurli has the best Wurlitzer vibe. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jngnz said:

You basically answered your own question. Soniccouture is your favourite developer's favourite developer. The best of the best.

That Sky Box 145B sounds lifeless next to Broken Wurli and Canterbury Suitcase makes Famous E sound like General MIDI.

Stop the Pavlov monologues and just go and buy it. Download it. Play it. Weep like a baby because it’s so f-ing beautiful.

The Soniccouture Wurli and Rhodes really are wonderful. I don't have the Famous E (which I know gets lots of love), but the SC instruments just ooze vibe. For the noodly sort of way I play, UA's Electra88 suits me better, but if I hadn't come across that VI I'd still be wondering how a virtual instrument (i.e., Canterbury Suitcase) could be so good. The ability to tweak the harmonics opens up a whole range of sounds that are way beyond what I thought a Rhodes could make.

As to the Wurli and @PavlovsCat's temptation, I'd say go for it. The Skybox Audio instruments are brilliant at what they do, which is to provide a really contemporary take on what you can get out of acoustic and electric pianos when you pair them with effects/synth engines etc. But the SC versions are grimy, old-school delights. And if memory serves, they're not particularly new libraries, which makes it all the more amazing how much they're capable of!

So...listen to @jngnz! (btw - username indicates you're a Kiwi?)

• Like 1

I have and appreciate the Canterbury Suitcase but it needs mix massaging and help getting loud enough in a song, and the effects like chorus tremolo and such are quite decent yet very Kontaktian.

Check out Keyscape for more mix-ready ep's with lots of character and primo effects.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

I picked up Bag of Tricks mostly to play with the Euclidean beat maker. It’s pretty dang fun actually. 

I picked up… way too many things. I seriously need to get off the internet and go live in the woods.

• Haha 1