Clip automation gain shortcut

maybe there is an option to somehow use auto-hotkeys to macro it. if you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, you can click on that, or use "T" (unless you re-mapped it) to get to the menu and select the clip gain (which saves you from having to move over to the track info section to do the selection). i don't see any keystroke to access the data type in the help file...

image.png.b9012f325c369b5cd17a3f597ebe935c.png

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tools.02.html#1228842

• Like 1

Ctrl+Drag on a clip will both create a clip gain envelope and allow you to drag it in one gesture.  If you need to get back to it later, just Shift+Click on the existing envelope - that's the same as choosing Clip Gain from the track's Edit Filter.  To go back to the clip Shift+Click on it instead.

• Like 2

All good ideas, thanks! I'll check out the scroll wheel next time I boot up. I do use click and drag all the time but often I want to just do a portion of the clip so I need to select it first and I don't think I can do that until I go through the three steps I listed to get to clip gain. Anyway I'll experiment next time I'm online.

Was about to say what SteveC said. And to reiterate his first point, the initial CTRL+Click+Drag will create a new clip gain line on any clip that didn't already have one. So you can create and start editing in a single move. It's super efficient once you get in the habit of it.

• Like 2

Another way to access clip gain automation is to assign a keyboard shortcut. For example, I have "Toggle Track/Clip Gain" assigned to Alt+G. Now that I have done that, pressing Alt+G does the same thing as the three clicks the OP originally mentioned. Pressing Alt+G again returns back to regular clip editing. So there are multiple ways to get quickly into and out of clip gain editing. Pick whichever is most convenient for you.

• Like 2

learning a lot. the main issue for me with the ctrl+drag is it affects the entire clip and no simple way to get it to be "0" from the start and edit from there. whereas creating the shortcut - trackview -> toggle track/clip gain (i also bound mine as Alt+G) works really really nicely.

On 5/29/2024 at 10:29 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

learning a lot. the main issue for me with the ctrl+drag is it affects the entire clip and no simple way to get it to be "0" from the start and edit from there. whereas creating the shortcut - trackview -> toggle track/clip gain (i also bound mine as Alt+G) works really really nicely.

It's not simple exactly, but when I get in this pickle, I just hover over the node (or nodes) that are an issue, right click and manually punch in zero in the menu that pops up. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

There is a shortcut - Toggle Track/Clip Gain in the Edit Filter.   It's under the Track View area:

Be aware that this works on the "Current" track. Not on "Selected" clips or tracks.

Edited by Base 57
I originally wrote 'It only works". I removed the word only because it added a negative connotation that I did not intend.