Cannot get rid of crashing on startup

Hi, something has gone very wrong with one particular project. I can no longer open it without Cakewalk crashing. I have at least 10 versions of the track backed up and they all have started to crash. I thought I had found the problem plugin by opening in safe mode and removing the plugins one by one until Cakewalk opened without crashing, and played back fine (obviously without the removed plugin), but re-saving the project hasn't fixed the issue (I re-saved the project without the plugin that caused the crash). Opening that saved project again causes another crash, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Running Cakewalk by Bandlab on Windows 10. Other projects appear fine. Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Update: If I open the project in safe mode and choose to load each plugin in turn, the project opens, but if I choose load all or open the project normally, it crashes.

Did it/Does it generate a *.dmp file?

I use a file-listing tool called Everything to find different types of files (such as *.dmp files).  I then use a tool called WinDbg.exe which has an "Analyze" function.  That tells me if the crash was caused by a specific plug-in.  If so, that helps me problem-solve the issue if a solution is within my control.  If I think it's worth reporting (such as to a plug-in maker, or to Cakewalk), I have the option to send them the *.dmp file.

Yes, there is a crash dump - thanks for the suggestions, I will try the Windbg tool.

@Promidi - I will check that as well.

What I find strange is that opening the project in safe mode but not disabling any plugins lets me open the file without a crash, but opening it normally causes a crash each time.

If it only relates to a single project, you can try opening it the way it worked for you and try to save AS in a different location. 

I can only think of 3 instances if you eliminated sick plugin(s).

a) Actual Cakewalk file is somehow got corrupted (Saving As resolved issues for me in some instances, not only in Cakewalk) 

b)File location has some permission issues

c) One of your Audio/Midi files is corrupted.

P.S. Not sure about this one, but once you have project running, you can try saving it as Bundle file and then try opening it. If you can open it successfully, re-save it as normal.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, I think the project has been salvaged! The crash dump pointed to a plugin that hadn't been recently updated or given trouble before, while I was looking at the recently updated plugins for a culprit. Also no idea why I could open the file in safe mode and allow each plugin to run in turn without a crash but I am not going to dwell on that! I appreciate the help, thanks again!

An example of random for me is Kontakt and TTS-1. When I reviewed the dozen or more dump files I think TTS -1 was 4 of them and Kontakt 2.  But then months go by and those 2 don’t crash. 

6 hours ago, Skelm said:

no idea why I could open the file in safe mode and allow each plugin to run in turn without a crash but I am not going to dwell on that!

Reminds me of the Three Stooges trying to get through the door at the same time.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Reminds me of the Three Stooges trying to get through the door at the same time.

Not too far fetched ;)
If one plugin causes memory corruption it can frequently result in crashing another or may not even show up as a crash until some other unrelated operation.
BTW when we detect a crash and write a minidump, a text file with the crash information is also written to the same folder. The text file should give you the name of the plugin that caused the crash when applicable so there is no need to run Windebug.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Not too far fetched ;)
If one plugin causes memory corruption it can frequently result in crashing another or may not even show up as a crash until some other unrelated operation.
BTW when we detect a crash and write a minidump, a text file with the crash information is also written to the same folder. The text file should give you the name of the plugin that caused the crash when applicable so there is no need to run Windebug.

Hi Noel, thanks for this info, very handy to know!