How to Upgrade to the Latest Version of Windows 11 on ANY PC!

So did you give it a try?

I just finished doing one of my old laptops I use for the net. The process went fairly smoothly, did have one false start when I didn't give it enough time to complete one part, then when I decided to give it another try I came to the same place and was about to forget about it when I notice this green movement, it was a process bar that I didn't notice the first time around, so I watched it and sure enough it was moving across, so I stuck with it. There was one other glitch with rufus, but I just done that part again and it worked fine. Other than those little glitches everything as I said went fairly smoothly.

Haven't done any optimizing type stuff with it yet, that'll be tomorrow, just enjoying checking out what's what, doing a bit of surfing and checking out the few apps I have installed all work, no issues yet. She seems to like a first time 'feed' of things, after that she's away. I hope I don't come across anything in the next three days that makes me 'have' to go back, I'd like to stay here all things going well. I backed up my System Disk anyway, so I'm no real worried about Microsoft's built in time limit for rolling back. Not sure I will do it with my 2 main DAW machines though, although the are quite a bit more powerful than these laptops, there's a lot more at risk. I'm backed up pretty recently still. I'll be getting 2 new Machines before years end, they will be Windows 11 Pro, so not long to wait there.

Really pleasing to my eyes, love the curviness as apposed to Win 10s hard edges.

Thus far it's a thumbs up from me. ?

2 hours ago, pwal³ said:

but why? isn't w11 the vista of now?

It ain't near that bad. For me it's just seems they move stuff just to move it. I have to click more to get where one click got me before. Looks good. Should have left shlt where it was

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, Heath Row said:

So did you give it a try?

I just finished doing one of my old laptops I use for the net. The process went fairly smoothly, did have one false start when I didn't give it enough time to complete one part, then when I decided to give it another try I came to the same place and was about to forget about it when I notice this green movement, it was a process bar that I didn't notice the first time around, so I watched it and sure enough it was moving across, so I stuck with it. There was one other glitch with rufus, but I just done that part again and it worked fine. Other than those little glitches everything as I said went fairly smoothly.

Haven't done any optimizing type stuff with it yet, that'll be tomorrow, just enjoying checking out what's what, doing a bit of surfing and checking out the few apps I have installed all work, no issues yet. She seems to like a first time 'feed' of things, after that she's away. I hope I don't come across anything in the next three days that makes me 'have' to go back, I'd like to stay here all things going well. I backed up my System Disk anyway, so I'm no real worried about Microsoft's built in time limit for rolling back. Not sure I will do it with my 2 main DAW machines though, although the are quite a bit more powerful than these laptops, there's a lot more at risk. I'm backed up pretty recently still. I'll be getting 2 new Machines before years end, they will be Windows 11 Pro, so not long to wait there.

Really pleasing to my eyes, love the curviness as apposed to Win 10s hard edges.

Thus far it's a thumbs up from me. ?

I just got done, everything went well, let me know if the built in time limit for rolling back thing happens to you, You're a day ahead of me.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 9:52 PM, pwal³ said:

but why? isn't w11 the vista of now?

No.

It's more like the Win7 of now, 'Farewell Win7, you served me well, I will always remember you, but Win10 is here and I must move on to greener pastures'

On 5/23/2024 at 3:53 AM, Old Joad said:

I just got done, everything went well, let me know if the built in time limit for rolling back thing happens to you, You're a day ahead of me.

Will do. I'm finding it snappier and much smoother than 10, haven't hit any issues thus far, I don't think I'll be making use of the 'Go Back' feature, it looks like for me it will be on wards and no looking back. I'm going to switch my other Laptop over this weekend, and I'm really getting the itch to upgrade my 2 main DAW machines, perhaps I will upgrade one and see how it goes, but only a few months before I build the 2 new ones, and as I said they will be Win11 from the get go. The wise and cautious me says 'leave it until then', the keen, excited and adventurous me says 'go for it, she'll be right mate' hmmm.

[Edit] Forgot to say I let it update to the latest as of about earlier today, then shut the updates down until I feel I should update again.

Edited by Heath Row

8 hours ago, Rain said:

For a second I thought I'd be able to upgrade my old Alienware running XP + Sonar 8.5... ?

I know, I've got an old Win 7 that I was thinking about upgrading, and then thought better of it.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure my 3 days has passed, maybe cutting it to fine though, but I looked in the help and it says it's 10 days so who knows. I'll keep an eye on it for you and let you know if anything gives. I'll not be going back. I've got my System Drive back up that I done prior to upgrading if anything should go south latter on, but I think it'll be ok.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:58 PM, Heath Row said:

I'm pretty sure my 3 days has passed, maybe cutting it to fine though, but I looked in the help and it says it's 10 days so who knows. I'll keep an eye on it for you and let you know if anything gives. I'll not be going back. I've got my System Drive back up that I done prior to upgrading if anything should go south latter on, but I think it'll be ok.

Well nothing has change here with regards to the 'Go Back' feature, I cancel out of it pretty early on as it's saying something like "Getting things ready" I don't want to let it go any further than that and I believe it's 11 days and counting now. So unless there is something further on in the process that blocks it or they have a fairly loose grasp on 10 days I don't know, but for all intents and purposes it still looks active at 11 days +.

'Go Back' is no longer available to be selected, so for me it was 12/13 days from installation.

I'm going to take the leap and do one of my main DAW machines now and see how it goes, I just finished doing a back up of the System drive with Acronis TI just in case, but I think it will be fine.

• 2 months later...

Well I suppose now or soon enough, if you still have Win 10 on systems, its worth considering this because after next year - October 14, 2025 - Win 10 is no longer supported or updated which means many apps will stop supporting Win 10 also.

Realistically if you still have an old laptop with win 10 ( like I am typing on ), after October 14, 2025 it becomes a dead duck really so this process is probably worth doing 

5 hours ago, Peter Morgan said:

Any feedback as far as performance and stability running CbB/Sonar?   Better, worse, same?

Don't be lazy, make sure you back up everything just in case.

So .. to anyone who has done this here & did not do a CLEAN install.

Does the KEEP PERSONAL FILES AND APPS do just that? Is all the software installed in your Windows 10 and the data left alone? OR do you still have to reinstall everything after again?

Yes I realise one should BACKUP all the data regardless. Im just refering to the already installed application software in your windows 10 for example CW, Office, Reaper, Vegas, Affinity etc etc

16 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Does the KEEP PERSONAL FILES AND APPS do just that? Is all the software installed in your Windows 10 and the data left alone? OR do you still have to reinstall everything after again?

Yes I realise one should BACKUP all the data regardless. Im just refering to the already installed application software in your windows 10 for example CW, Office, Reaper, Vegas, Affinity etc etc

FYI for all who pass this way. I can say YES to my Q. The KEEP PERSONAL FILES AND APPS does indeed leave everything as it is that was installed in the previous windows 10. 

I had a 2nd laptop with Win 10 on it and not too worried about it apps/data wise. Now up to Windows 11 pro, ALL latest updates happening no prob. All my apps and data as is.

So now I am doing this Win 11 upgrade using the process in the OP on my main laptop. This extends the life of older laptops even further, great stuff. Thanks @Old Joad

AND the system is far more slicker now ( Core i5, 16GB ram, 512GB NVME )

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Yes, me, in-situ upgrade done a year ago, but not using the OP’s method. No issues.

Yes it does, all was present and correct, no issues there.

FWIW i cloned my W10 HDD before applying the upgrade.

J