Activation required???

Adam Gill

Question

A notice in red on the right:

"Cakewalk must be activated within 10 day(s). Update activation status before time runs out."

What does this mean?? We have to purchase a license now??  If so I'm off Cakewalk to some other DAW - free and hopefully Open Source

I don't have money to buy a license - I am a composer on very limited budget.

Please advise.

2024-05-19_192723.png

6 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

You will have to pay for Sonar eventually. There is a remote possibility of a bare bones stripped down version that may be free or very inexpensive. 

In the meantime definitely download Waveform and try it out it’s free. Pro tools  also has a free version that is worth having. Those are my top picks out of a half dozen other free DAWs. 

Edited by John Vere

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, John Vere said:

You will have to pay for Sonar eventually. There is a remote possibility of a bare bones stripped down version that may be free or very inexpensive. 

In the meantime definitely download Waveform and try it out it’s free. Pro tools  also has a free version that is worth having. Those are my top picks out of a half dozen other free DAWs. 

Thanks for that ....  all my compositions are in Cakewalk format and I compose mostly in MIDI then convert/then bounce to audio later  - So I would need to have Cakewalk in the background for converting formats if i were to change to another .. What do you think of Ardour? - it's totally free if I can compile the source code - there's some tutorials how to do that on YT

This is a good YT video by Benn Jordan who discusses the free DAW scene - He talks highly of CbB and Bandlab:

Edited by Adam Gill

If your projects are midi then you should make sure you save each and every one of them as MID. files. The sooner the better. 

Midi files  can be opened in any DAW that I demoed which was 12 over the last few months.
Most will play a GM format with out fuss. My own creations all show up with the synth I used labeled correctly in the track names. So all you need to do is insert the correct synths and recall the pre set you used. 
It’s a matter of having all the information about that project written down and easily duplicated in the other DAWS. 

I think Ardour was sort of like Reaper which was so weird I didn’t like it at all. They all have there fan clubs but I was basically looking for a familiar workflow. 

Yes CbB is not easy to replace because it was a full featured DAW that was only temporarily made free as part of a brilliant business plan.  

That’s not a problem for me. I’m already renting Sonar and I’m saving Gig money  and I will purchase it the minute they release it. But I also have a few other DAW’s on hand just in case something stupid happens.