What is the Pitch button supposed to do in Loop Construction View?

This guy:

image.png.4925bd2dacbef86d8cb1cadf9f0fed24.png

The tooltip says "Follow Project Pitch." What is "project pitch?"

All I did was open a project, then drag the "04 Drone Guitar 1" sample from the Big Fish Audio Cinematic/Eclipse 2/04 065 G folder into an audio track.

I've tried hitting it just for laughs and it doesn't seem to do anything to the audio.

After I press the button, though, I can pull down the menu that says "A" and it shows a checkmark next to "G." Before I pressed the button I couldn't pull the menu down. No idea what the "A" menu is for.

So far, when I ask about Loop Construction View, people mostly tell me that for the things that it's supposed to be for, I should use some other tool, but I'm curious about the various features of Sonar and Loop Construction View has so far been a big mystery.

The Pitch you set in LCV is the pitch of the original sample - so if you recorded yourself playing an D string on a guitar, you'd put "D" here.

Follow project pitch is to do with Pitch Markers and Meter/Key entries.

Meter/Key entries set the project key signature - e.g. D Major, B minor etc.

Once you've created your groove clip using LCV,  Pitch Markers can be used to force the clip to change pitch relative to the project key.

So if you're playing in C Major,  and the pitch markers are set to C at measure 1,  F at measure 3, and G at measure 5  the loop will be pitch-shifted to play at those pitches.   However, it's important it knows the original pitch of the loop in the LCV, so it knows how much to pitch-shift it by.

If you don't have any pitch markers, then the loop will play back at the project key (which will be C major if you're using the default meter/key "4/4 C").

Groove Clips / Pitch Markers can give you a kind of "poor man's chord track",  in that it can change the audio from one pitch to another using the pitch markers to specify the chord.

It can only shift pitch tho - not change major to minor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Groove Clips / Pitch Markers can give you a kind of "poor man's chord track",  in that it can change the audio from one pitch to another using the pitch markers to specify the chord.

long ago i tried to use this for "vocal pitch correction" (before getting autotune) and found out, crap in = crap out, even if it's relatively in tune... LOL

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Dang, that’s actually useful stuff. When do we ever stop learning cool things about Sonar. 

What amazes me is these features have been around since at least Sonar 1  (that's Sonar 1 from back in 2001... not Sonar X1 ), and hardly anyone knows about them.

IIRC Loop Construction View came out as part of Sonar 1,  but I think pitch markers were supported prior to that in Cakewalk Pro Audio... you just needed something else to create the ACID-ized loops ("Groove Clips").  LCV lets you create your own from within Sonar itself.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2024 at 5:01 AM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Page 801 in the manual has some useful information

Believe me, I don't ask here until I've checked there.

I had a hard time parsing "The Follow Project Pitch option transposes the loop, if necessary, to the key of the project. A loop recorded in the key of
A, used in a project in the key of C, would be transposed up three semitones if the Follow Project Pitch check box was checked."

As with a lot of things in there, to get it you have to already know a bunch of related stuff that I didn't know about, like pitch markers.

There's nothing on p. 801 that says what Project Pitch is. Thanks to Mark, now I know that it has to do with the key markers.

Anything having to do with warping or slicing audio and the like happened while I was away from making music on the computer. I'm still playing catch up.