The Entire History of Cakewalk

Larry Shelby

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

Does it include the part where I met the Twelve Tone crew at a business expo in CT in the late 80's and ended up buying an MPU-401 bundled with Cakewalk v3? I ran it on a little orange screen lunchbox Compaq clone. 

Doubtful, but great story!

For me, it was ca. 1991 that the wife and I recorded an 8 song cassette, 4 original and 4 cover. My friend and engineer sequenced a lot of it with Cakewalk on DOS. It was impressive and I was smitten!

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

I'm now remembering the card was a Voyetra V-24sm. 

I ran with that using Voyetra Sequence Plus Gold before I switched to Cakewalk.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Bapu said:

In other related news, The Entire History of Bapu.

Based on what I've seen that video would be 12 hours still skipping many parts. ? I think the name of the documentary should be "Installed!"

Edited by Doug Steinschneider
  • Great Idea 1

52 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Started with Sonar 8.

Left when Presonus gave us quite the deal when Gibson shut it down.

Started with Pro Audio 4 through CbB (skipped SONAR 2  and 4 for some unknown reason), Ditto on Studio One but I will support the new SONAR just because.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

Does it include the part where I met the Twelve Tone crew at a business expo in CT in the late 80's and ended up buying an MPU-401 bundled with Cakewalk v3? I ran it on a little orange screen lunchbox Compaq clone. 

Back in 1992 I started my journey with Cakewalk products and have sticked around since then.  Got my Cakewalk Dos 3.0 bundled with a Roland Sound Canvas SCC-1 add on card in 1992.  Since then I owned the Cakewalk Pro Audio versions, then Sonar v3 thru  Sonar x3,  then CnB, and now am waiting for the new Sonar by Bandlab (to buy a perpetual version since I don't do subscriptions).   Great Products!!

Cakewalk has always been my first go-to DAW, but also use Studio One, Cubase Pro and Mixbus.   

C2

• Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)

I'll have to watch later...

(Have I ever mentioned that I helped Greg debug a Turtle Beach MIDI issue back in Cakewalk v1.0?

Everyone:  "YES!  About 3,280 times!!!  Now STFU!!!" ?)

Edited by craigb
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cecelius2 said:

Cakewalk has always been my first go-to DAW, but also use Studio One, Cubase Pro and Mixbus.   

Ditto, and ProTools, Reaper, Bitwig, Digital Performer, Reason and Mixcraft here. I abandoned Samplitude two versions back.

Edited by Bapu

29 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Ditto, and ProTools, Reaper, Bitwog, Digital Performer, Reason and Mixcraft here. I abandoned Samplitude two versions back.

Ditto that ditto...and I still have Samplitude that's current.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, husker said:

I started with buying Sonar For Life as my first DAW, then two months later they folded.   ?

And you subsequently lucked back into getting what it said on the tin. IMO, it's a better product now than if it had continued under Gibson management.

Mucho respeto for those (and even I was one, 25 years ago) who invested in Cakewalk/SONAR back in the day. CbB and Cakewalk Sonar would not have existed without our buy-ins.