[ SOLVED ] Whole Lotta Control Data (Convert or Delete)

sadicus

Question

Posted (edited)

Old Piano project is running slow, then in PRV noticed a lot (some might say to many) controller data.
Goal is to re-Sustain pedal and re-volume the entire piece of music.
What's the best way to re edit controller data in old projects like this? Currently have external USB Hardware Sustain + Volume Pedals to work with but not sure if this data needs to be deleted or converted to envelopes?

example of the hundreds of controller data:

• cc 121 chnl 1
  • cc 64 pedal
  • cc 1 modulation

Cbb_ControlData.jpg

Edited by sadicus

4 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

This looks like something you might find in a 3rd-party GM MIDI file. The first step would be to separate out the different channels to different tracks if there are, in fact, notes on more than one channel in the track.  Otherwise just delete all controllers that aren't on the saem channel as the notes. Then check the Event List viw to see if CC1 Modulation is actually being used throughout the performance or just being initialized to 0 at the start.

Continuous Sustain alone shouldn't cause that much trouble, but I wrote a CAL a while ago that can convert them to full pedal down/up events if you want to try that.

EDIT: I have a number of different sustain-related CALs, but it looks like I was mistaken that I ever wrote one to convert coninuous to discrete. I could probably modify one of my existing CALs to do it, but not sure I can get to it in time to address your case. As I said, the continous ones shouldn't be causing a problem if you get rid of everything else - unless possibly they were created manually with excess resolution. FOr reference, my RD-700NX digital piano only sends one message every 8ms or so, which means each pedal up/down is typically only 6-7 messages in a realtime recording. And CW won't even generate that many when using a MIDI sustain envelope. Any more than that is overkill.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

Thanks for the ideas...
@PromidiHow to delete the data for all 100 channels? If the "-" as shown in the image is used, they just come back next time project is open.
@David BaayNone of this ridiculous controller data was intentional, there is no rush for this if you do make a CAL script ~ thank you

- Select all clips with unwanted controller events.

- Edit > Select > By Filter

- Click the 'None' button, then re-check the 'Control' box.

- OK and Delete.

If the controller types still show up in the Controller pane though you don't see any actual events, it may be that some controllers are hidden by slip-editing, and you need to Apply Trimming or Bounce to Clips to get rid of them.

• Like 2