Playback Time of is Longer Than Actual Time of Track

Stephen Power

Question

Posted (edited)

Apologies for the convoluted title. This is a very odd thing, and I hope someone can offer a solution.

I've exported an audio track after mastering with TR5 Master Match.

The actual length of the track is 29 seconds. The playback via windows media player, and in Premiere Pro 2, shows 55 seconds. There is no 'dead space' at the beginning or end of the track. The actual timed playback is 29-30 seconds.

My client wants a track under 30 seconds, if I show them this, they'll think I can't understand a plain instruction.

Any advice on how to correct is welcome. Thanks again.

length 1.png

length 2.png

Edited by Stephen Power

14 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Your screenshot shows it's 29 measures, not 29 seconds.

CORRECTION: Make that 28 measures ending at 29:01. If it's in 4/4, that implies a tempo of 28 x 4 x 60 / 55 = 122.18 (probably 122 even).

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Your screenshot shows it's 29 measures, not 29 seconds.

CORRECTION: Make that 28 measures ending at 29:01. If it's in 4/4, that implies a tempo of 28 x 4 x 60 / 55 = 122.18 (probably 122 even).

Oh hell! Thank you. I'll need to start again, I must have the timer set incorrectly. :(

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

@Stephen Power

At the top of the Track View where MBT time line is; at the right end you can add more types of timeline measurements (SMPTE/SAMPLES). That may help.

And (IIRC), RMB on the big MBT counter allows you to change it as well to SMPTE.

Thanks to you and @David Baay for the help. I'm feeling a tad stupid now. I've just finished an album of 10 TV documentary cues for a music publisher, all of which had to be 2:30 (mins) long, each.

I'm praying to the God of DAWs that when I go and look, I won't see that I've been timing them by bars (measures) and not minutes and seconds!

Edited by Stephen Power
  • Haha 1

I do believe the default for new projects is always MBT. 
You can cycle through the options by just clicking on the time display. 
Possibly the desired setting can be saved with a template or workspace.

I’m not sure because I like starting with MBT and only check the end time when done later on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

I do believe the default for new projects is always MBT. 
You can cycle through the options by just clicking on the time display. 
Possibly the desired setting can be saved with a template or workspace.

I’m not sure because I like starting with MBT and only check the end time when done later on. 

It's possible I didn't check, before starting the new project. Thank you.

Posted (edited)

I just tested this. I used the Basic Template to test. The more I tested the more confusing it got. 

The default for me at first was the Timeline is MBT and the transport shows HMS. I had never noticed this before.  But! 

I swapped these over and saved as a new Workspace. Didn't work at first but after I closed Cakewalk and reopened it stayed.  Now when I  change back to the Advanced workspace I got both MBT and HMS on the timeline and MBT in the transport, If I swicth to the Workspace I created it goes back to what I made. 

I swapped them over again and saved as a Project Template I renamed,  and it sticks. Seemed to override my workspace? 

One  observation I made was due to-  if I opened a project and only changed the Format of the timeline or Transport and then closed the project,  it didn't prompt me to re save.

So conclusion is  I put my money on setting it up and saving as part of the workspace. But it doesn't hurt to save the project that way too. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

I use this to keep track of the length of the cue:

• Create an arranger track that is set to absolute time.
  • Draw the section at the exact in-outs of your cue.
  • Select the section.

You will get the length of the selection in the Export module. 

See pic.

Screenshot_1.png

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1