Volume automation for multi-channel soft synth?

Posted (edited)

Howdy all.

I'm trying to automate the volume of channel 6 of a multi-channel synth (the old TTS-1), as you will notice the green envelope line over the midi track. But this envelope has no effect on the volume. The only volume envelope that does work, is the master volume, but then it affects the volume of all the channels in the TTS-1. I also do not see a Write function that would allow me to change the volume slider for channel 6 manually. 

Can anyone please give me advice?

TTS-1.PNG

Edited by Cobus Prinsloo

Posted (edited)

Maybe it's because you have the MIDI track set to send all MIDI data on that track to Channel? [ O ] = 2

BTW, with multi channel hardware sound modules I used Expression (CC11) for the relative loudness of individual channels reserving Volume (CC7) for each module's overall volume.  Maybe that will work with TTS-1?

Not sure about this with Automation, though.  I used CCs and it might be that automation behaves differently.

Edited by User 905133
to add a note about CC11; fixed typo [its --> it's]
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

With any multi-timbral synth (including TTS1), make sure the MIDI channels of all of the MIDI tracks that are routed to that synth are set to their specific MIDI channel rather than none.

As@User 905133mentioned, consider using CC11 for the expression ramp (if the multi-timbral synth responds to that, whch TTS-1 does)  change and reserve CC7 for the overall volume. (That is what I do for multi-timbral synth MIDI editing)

I also have RechannelMIDI = 1 set in Preferences - File - Initialisation File (Advanced).  That way, when you bounce a MIDI clip, all the event’s MIDI channels will match the MIDI channel of the MIDI track the clip is in.

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 3

Thank you all for the advice. CC11 for expression did not make a difference, but when I changed the output to midi channel 6 -- that fixed it. I just also had to change Patch to the relevant instrument assigned to channel 6.

I will change my preferences to RechannelMIDI =1 

Thanks again!