Has anyone else been watching the sky at night this weekend?

It was a bit hard to see the colors for me last night, but some of my friends posted some wild pictures they took last night out here in the Pacific Northwest!

Looks like more coming tonight...

Too much light pollution here. The sky appeared a little brighter than usual, that's all.

I was looking forward to it, too. Not enough to get in the car and drive someplace darker. When the kids were little we'd have made an adventure out of it and gone to the mountains and camped out. Later, in middle age, I would have set up the stage lights in the garage and made music. But now I'm old and lazy, so it was just "oh well, wonder what's on Netflix".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We already have 18 hrs of daylight just below the Arctic Circle so not going to see much here. 9_9

Even the local GI Aurora cam has been turned off for the season.

Edited by sjoens

Posted (edited)

Well... I've now been up all night (it's6:15am here), but I never saw a glimmer of colored light last night!  Maybe the CME's still haven't  hit yet?  Or, they'll hit during the day where we won't really be able to see them?  I guess we'll see!

Edited by craigb

I saw some here in Louisiana.  Just after sunset and through the clouds. Thought it was just a regular real nice sunset until I saw other people's  FB post in clear sky's. It was almost like what I had here!!

So I did see it.

Ya played at a dance last night and all the way home was looking up. Got home poured a Scotch and went out on the deck at the back where there’s No street lights.. Me and dog  sat listening to the very loud frogs but disappointed that the sky looked like it normally does. Saw a lot it action up there with satellites and a few red eye flights heading east. 
Wife just read a few minutes ago that tonight will be best but now it’s clouded over. 
Lots of nights coming home from gigs I saw them in the past at 2AM. But it’s been a long time since. Last time I think we were camping on Rosevelt Lake in Washington. It lasted for 2  hours. About 100 people were sitting in deck chairs getting corned. Kinda like a big concert with out the band.  

Just reading about similarities to this solar storm and the Carrington Event of 1859. Back then it messed up telegraphs, which stopped working or even spit out sparks. That was the only electromagnetically-sensitive technology that existed at the time. Different story nowadays. Already hearing reports of issues with wireless microphones at concert venues. To make matters worse, the earth's magnetic field that protects us from that stuff has diminished since 1859. 

So if you've been saving up for a Van der Graff generator, you might want to hold off on that purchase. You may soon get a comparable show from your toaster.