Invaders from Outer Space

Kevin Walsh

Posted (edited)

Every now and then I go digging through my audio folders mining for song ideas, rummaging around in the hundreds of bits of crap that had I recorded on my phone or started in Cakewalk and then abandoned or forgot about. Most of them really are best forgotten. The other day I stumbled on something I started in 2015 and for some reason never found a way to finish it, or maybe I forgot about it when a shiny new idea came along.

So I thought I'd dust it off, slap some new paint on it and see if others find anything worthwhile here. It's clearly a Pink Floyd wannabe track, which may be while I set it aside as a bad job, and the end is kind of abrupt, but I'm kind of pleased at my former self's chutzpa.

Lyrics: 

Invaders from Outer Space

who are these people
and why are they so bold?
I see them everywhere
they seem so cold.

I will not trust these men,
I see what they can do
I've heard their vicious words,
I know what they mean to do

and i feel the anger in the air
they suffer so when the times are 
hard and the chips are down

no I can't believe they're just
standing there 
while women weep and children cry

they can't be human
whoa they just can't be

so we'll take a nod and stay away
they're no ordinary men

i was once alone and 
quite unafraid
but maybe i was a fool
to believe so hard

when she came to my window
on a cold and dreary night
she said come 
oh yeah that's what she said

come to me
come to me
come to me

i did not realize
i did not see
all the truth was standing there
right in front of me

and i see the people in the park
they're running wild with fists
clenched and their hearts aflame

well i can't believe that i'm still here
most fortunate one around
oh i can't be human 
no i just can't be

so let's take a nod and stay away
they're no ordinary men
oh men.

Edited by Kevin Walsh
added lyrics
  • Like 5

Hello mate,

Well another super mixed bit of work from you. For me it's whole and leaves the listener wanting more .. yep it's a bit abrupt plus no lyrics , something I really like to have whilst listening Tch!

Love your voice man, and in parts I could hear a bit of Clapton in it ... like a dusty Eric LOL ... loved this one so well done and thanks for the post B|

ATB

Steve

5 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

Hello mate,

Well another super mixed bit of work from you. For me it's whole and leaves the listener wanting more .. yep it's a bit abrupt plus no lyrics , something I really like to have whilst listening Tch!

Love your voice man, and in parts I could hear a bit of Clapton in it ... like a dusty Eric LOL ... loved this one so well done and thanks for the post B|

ATB

Steve

Thanks for the listen, Steve! I added the lyrics above, just for you. 

I'll the take the Clapton reference, dusty or no, with thanks!

Kevin

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Worth pulling it out.  I like it - I like the guitar tone in particular.  and the vocal feel.

Nice!

Thanks! I re-amped the guitar from a Guitar Rig marshall to a Tonex marshall. Night and day. I should have centered the guitar too but whatever. :) Thanks!

18 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Thanks for the listen, Steve! I added the lyrics above, just for you. 

I'll the take the Clapton reference, dusty or no, with thanks!

Kevin

The lyrics are very thought provoking, just wonder where the seed/spark came from, there are few here IMO that stand out, and I would include yourself as one. It's hard getting a song like this finished let alone mixed so well ... thanks again for the words, thoroughly enjoyed listening again ?

Steve   

3 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

The lyrics are very thought provoking, just wonder where the seed/spark came from, there are few here IMO that stand out, and I would include yourself as one. It's hard getting a song like this finished let alone mixed so well ... thanks again for the words, thoroughly enjoyed listening again ?

Steve   

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. Speaking as a rank amateur, it's incredibly gratifying to hear people with your kind of talent say such things. My wife says I need to get a hobby that pays better. :)

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2024 at 10:09 AM, KSband said:

I hear the Floyd too but it's definitely your own thing. Very cool song, arrangement and guitar playing.

Thank you for listening and thank you for your comments!

This is a very fun song to listen to.  Your soulful vocals shine, and your lyrics highlight them well.  The mix is kinda trippy, and I hear more than just Floyd influences in this tune.  Please keep exploring anything that you've ever done, Kevin!

On 5/16/2024 at 1:22 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

This is a very fun song to listen to.  Your soulful vocals shine, and your lyrics highlight them well.  The mix is kinda trippy, and I hear more than just Floyd influences in this tune.  Please keep exploring anything that you've ever done, Kevin!

Thanks, Lynn, your feedback is always appreciated! 

@Kevin Walsh . . . it clearly has that Pink Floyd influence about it, maybe a tribute to some floydian thing you felt inside when you created this. I really enjoyed listening to it . . . this has a great analog sound quality in the recording, like a tape recording, smooth edges. . . how did you record it ? . . . Is it all Cakewalk in the box, or something else ?

Just really appreciate all aspects of the song, the guitar, the vocals, and the recording presentation !