ins files for older Roland synths

If you have an older synth, try this which covers a lot of models, and it just might suit you.

If the synth you have is in here, you can create a new ins for just that synth from this file too, simply by deleting the unnecessary stuff.  You do have to be careful not to delete any needed text for it to work, and I haven't done this in years, so I'm afraid I can't help with that!

Roland.ins

Edited by Gonga
  • Like 2

If you have an older synth, try this which covers a lot of models, and it just might suit you.

If the synth you have is in here, you can create a new ins for just that synth from this file too, simply by deleting the unnecessary stuff.  You do have to be careful not to delete any needed text for it to work, and I haven't done this in years, so I'm afraid I can't help with that!

Based on size alone, this matches the Roland.ins file I have from 2003.  I have a larger one from 2009 and a slightly larger one from 2010. In my experience with other Cakewalk supplied *.ins files, later ones usually include the contents from the older files. 

Before people start collecting a new set of *.ins files (and maybe overwriting larger, later, more inclusive ones), maybe someone should should check the newer *.ins files against the new old ones being posted. 

PS:  If someone wants to do a comprehensive comparison of older *.ins files with newer ones, I also have a Roland.ins file from 1998.

Edited by User 905133
added a PS; fixed typos

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, sjoens said:

Better yet, when posting an INS file, simply post the list as text.

HUH? I was and am under the impression that they were text files. I haven't edited any in a while, but I found they were easily editable using Notepad. What is the benefit of taking a lengthy INS file and posting the file as text?

Edited by User 905133
removed "a"
  • Like 1

So people can see if their particular synth is listed without downloading the file and opening it only to be disappointed. ?

But either way works.

I get some files are quite lengthy,  that's why I made new ones for each of my synths separately for importing into CbB.

Thanks; I think I understand your point. I tried pasting an entire *.ins file in a Quote Box, scrolling to look for specific synths, and also using search, but for me it was more cumbersome to use the browser than Notepad, so I didn't see any advantage to posting it as text. I guess it's a matter of personal workflow, not that one method is better than another--kind of like how some people prefer keyboard shortcuts, some people like navigating with a mouse, etc.

On 11/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, RVR64 said:

Hoping someone out there has the file! I'm looking for the Yamaha DGX 670 midi file definitions.... Thanks in advance!

On 12/24/2022 at 11:41 PM, Mike Pietrzak said:

I would love that file too!

On 12/25/2022 at 10:59 AM, User 905133 said:

I found this online:

Can't say for sure, but maybe I thought "If two new forum members [1 post each] can't find it, rather than suggesting to look on line and posting the link, I'll post the single ins file as a quote."

Or maybe for some reason I didn't want to give the full explanation of how to search online for ins file, make them, etc. 

Maybe I had concerns about their abilities to download files.

However, it's not an ins file I had and therefore I couldn't upload it, though I suppose I could have posted a link to the site where I found it. 

On 7/30/2024 at 12:56 AM, sjoens said:

You can import a new list  (.ins file)  for the DGX 670 synth if the patch names are different from the standard Yamaha XG names.  Your manual should have a name chart.

Or go here for a list of Yamaha INS files and change the file extension to .ins if not already done so.

That might be the site I used; in fact it probably is since it looks very familiar.  Maybe because it's not https, I was concerned they'd get an UNSAFE SITE warning and decided rather that risk sending someone to a possibly unsafe http site, I'd just post it as text. That sounds like something I would have done.

Also, I have been out of on-site storage space for years and to post new images/files I'd have to spend time looking for files to delete, possibly editing to post to say the image/file was deleted and why it was, etc.  So maybe on December 25th, 2022, I had no space to upload a file.

On 3/22/2024 at 2:33 PM, User 905133 said:

Based on size alone, this matches the Roland.ins file I have from 2003.  I have a larger one from 2009 and a slightly larger one from 2010. In my experience with other Cakewalk supplied *.ins files, later ones usually include the contents from the older files. 

Before people start collecting a new set of *.ins files (and maybe overwriting larger, later, more inclusive ones), maybe someone should should check the newer *.ins files against the new old ones being posted. 

PS:  If someone wants to do a comprehensive comparison of older *.ins files with newer ones, I also have a Roland.ins file from 1998. [emphasis added]

I stand by my original post.

• Like 1