Is there anything in this world like 'True Musicians'

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Define "real." Better still, don't.

There are people who play guitar really well, such as the gentlemen in this video, and there are people who write songs well but aren't the greatest with raw technique, such as Leonard Cohen, Thom Yorke, Bob Dylan, Brian Eno, Patti Smith, and Carole King.

There are people who are good at creating emotionally moving music via sampling others' works, such as The Orb (Little Fluffy Clouds) and Daft Punk.

There are people who are good at setting up generative music and then letting it do its own thing. The aforementioned Mr. Eno and those who have followed in his path.

There are people whose technique, songwriting, and actual output are "musically" abysmal by just about any metric, but whom I have listened to repeatedly and been entertained and fascinated by. Wesley Willis and The Shaggs.

There are people whose music I have only ever heard one song from, but that one song moved and/or influenced/entertained me a great deal. Kyu Sakamoto, Norman Greenbaum, The Big Bopper, Jimmy Gilmer, PSY and many others. There are people who have released plenty of music that I only care for one song from. Perfume, Fashion, Naked Eyes, many others.

There are people who are great technicians whose music moves me, and then others who are much beloved by others who I would change the station on if they came on the radio. The great who move me include Robert Fripp, Michael Hedges, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Elvin Jones, Gene Krupa and Jimi Hendrix. The others will go unnamed to avoid pointless arguments.

There are people who can't play or write a note, but whose singing has and will continue to influence generations, such as Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Aretha Franklin, Chuck Negron, Cory Wells, and Danny Hutton.

There are people who are the complete freaking package, such as Stevie Wonder, Joni Mitchell and Prince, geniuses who are at the top tier of playing, singing, writing, and producing.

It sure as heck ain't for this humble duffer to decide for anyone else who is or was a "real musician" or even a "musician."

If pressed, maybe I'd say that a "real musician" is someone who creates music. Even if they only ever blow into their harmonica sitting in their backyard where nobody else can hear them. Even if they only ever download a bunch of canned loops and string them together in a way that sounds cool to them.

And forget about debating what even constitutes "music."?

Edited by Starship Krupa

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

FACT CHECK:
Aretha Franklin Queen of Piano
I won't even go into her songwriting credits.

Not trying to call you out @Starship Krupa, but please, never take the Queen of Soul's name in vain.

t

I stand gratefully corrected. Aretha 4ever. I fell into the "I've never seen her do it, had no idea" trap.

I'll add another "who can say?" category for people who are known for one thing but can absolutely rip on an instrument. Johnny Carson, Peter Sellers, Fred Armisen (what is it with comedians and drums?), Charo....

Ozzie and Harriet were a bandleader and a jazz singer before they had a sitcom. One of the sitcom's surreal elements was that to my knowledge, they never revealed what Ozzie did for a living: he was a bandleader between tours.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Thanks 1

It sure as heck ain't for this humble duffer to decide for anyone else who is or was a "real musician" or even a "musician."

You have hurt one of the people you have listed ... I apologise for my comment 'real '. As one who I writes and composes a mix  and sings their own songs  , while  turning to this forum looking for advice of my piers ...  for many years.

I have tried to help singers and songwriters over the years, either spent in the studio or wetranfer,  with the little talent I have ... but I have never seen myself as an an incompetent or a stupid person, although with all the given talent shown here  I sometimes have  low estimate of my work.

Your comments are well received by this old duffer,  and as you have tremendous experience as shown in your history you must know ....  

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 4:57 AM, Supa Reels said:

You have hurt one of the people you have listed

You mean Aretha? Nothing anyone (least of all I) could say would diminish the great artist, at worst, as it did in my case, it would only serve to reveal an ignorance.?