Native Instruments Alicia's Keys Sale Plugin Boutique 12th Anniversary (Exclusive) for $13

cclarry

Not to muddy the waters (for all those Piano collectors in here), but I have been somewhat impressed with the Spitfire LABS Autograph Grand for some poppy stuff lately. It's a well known and used C6, and the dynamics make it run the gambit from really soft and squishy to fairly strong. Free.

Edit: and aficionados will notice the slightly off-temper tuning.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, OutrageProductions said:

Not to muddy the waters (for all those Piano collectors in here), but I have been somewhat impressed with the Spitfire LABS Autograph Grand for some poppy stuff lately. It's a well known and used C6, and the dynamics make it run the gambit from really soft and squishy to fairly strong. Free.

Edit: and aficionados will notice the slightly off-temper tuning.

I was contemplating putting together a thread, maybe with a poll where we could vote on our favorite pianos.  Mainly because I think it'd be great to learn from each other.  For example,  I have all the free Labs stuff, but I tend not to use it because the libraries aren't as detailed as my paid libraries for KONTAKT and SoundPaint. But knowing you from the forum and PMs -- I'm now going to take another look at the Autograph Grand. 

@OutrageProductions do you know how many layers Autograph Grand has? 

37 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

...do you know how many layers Autograph Grand has? 

No idea actually. To me it sounds like three v-layers. It's not IMO a solo instrument, but the 'tightness' control (IIRC-ATM) has a wide dynamic swing as I stated, from soft & squishy, to somewhat robust. Alecias pianos are more striking and percussive and useful as solo instruments tho.

I'll forego any opinion poll, because my choice of a piano is heavily dependent on the material I'm scoring. Sometimes it's NOIRE or UniCorda, sometimes it's a honky upright.

But do your thang bro.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm now going to take another look at the Autograph Grand.

It also reminded me a lot of the C6 that was at Caribou Ranch... which, due to the altitude, was never evenly tempered.?

Come to think of it, I'd have to say that my favorite piano of all was the Bosendorfer Imperial that we had at studio A at Chicago Recording Company. It was the personal piano of the studio owner... wonder where that is now??

Worst piano ever was the 9' Steinway that got pushed off (and I actually mean dropped off) the back of the truck one hour before a Ramsey Lewis solo concert at the Chicago Hilton. Seems there was a small issue with the local cartage & stage union that evening. LOL!

• Like 1

I bought it - had some credit on PB so was $8 plus I chose UA PolyMAX as freebie. I usually use modeled pianos, Mrs Mills is the only sample based piano I use regularly. This piano was on my short list because so many people on music forums have mentioned they like it. Did you guess I'm not a concert pianist? ?

Edited by Doug Steinschneider
  • Like 2

OK, you guys talked me into it. ? This is my first venture into the Kontakt ecosystem.

A question for people with a bunch of big sample libraries: can you run them successfully from a portable USB-attached hard drive? I've got a Western Digital drive I plug in for local backups, but I've never tried running samples from it. Before I go and load it up, I thought somebody here might know if it's worth trying. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, henkejs said:

OK, you guys talked me into it. ? This is my first venture into the Kontakt ecosystem.

A question for people with a bunch of big sample libraries: can you run them successfully from a portable USB-attached hard drive? I've got a Western Digital drive I plug in for local backups, but I've never tried running samples from it. Before I go and load it up, I thought somebody here might know if it's worth trying. Thanks.

The size of a library and the speed of a drive have a lot to do with it.  There are some affordable USB SSDs out there.

1 hour ago, henkejs said:

question for people with a bunch of big sample libraries: can you run them successfully from a portable USB-attached hard drive? I've got a Western Digital drive I plug in for local backups, but I've never tried running samples from it. Before I go and load it up, I thought somebody here might know if it's worth trying. Thanks.

I run all my samples from a 2tb Samsung usb drive.   It works great for me.  Here’s the link to the drive I’m using. https://a.co/d/6TTHjNJ

• Like 1