CbB for Linux

4 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I personally think it's an awesome operating system, but not for running a DAW on

This. Horses for courses. Linux is great at what it does best, which is hosting servers, enabling people to get extra life out of older hardware, and provide a viable productivity desktop for people and organizations who wish to save money on OS licenses. It also provides an alternative for users who don't care for Microsoft's and Apple's policies and behavior.

The primary function of a company is to make money. If they can't make enough profit from some activity (even indirectly), they will either not engage in that activity or cease to engage in it. Witness the impending freeze of freeware CbB and advent of payware Cakewalk Sonar. The "building brand awareness" era was great, but about to come to an end. The 5-year introductory offer. ?

It's difficult for audio software companies to make money on Linux because A, there are so very few people using it for audio, and B, frankly, Linux users are used to getting most of their software for free. The potential customers are LOUD, but few.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

This. Horses for courses. Linux is great at what it does best, which is hosting servers, enabling people to get extra life out of older hardware, and provide a viable productivity desktop for people and organizations who wish to save money on OS licenses. It also provides an alternative for users who don't care for Microsoft's and Apple's policies and behavior.

The primary function of a company is to make money. If they can't make enough profit from some activity (even indirectly), they will either not engage in that activity or cease to engage in it. Witness the impending freeze of freeware CbB and advent of payware Cakewalk Sonar. The "building brand awareness" era was great, but about to come to an end. The 5-year introductory offer. ?

It's difficult for audio software companies to make money on Linux because A, there are so very few people using it for audio, and B, frankly, Linux users are used to getting most of their software for free. The potential customers are LOUD, but few.

I would pay for any software I need on Linux, I recently bought pianoteq which is not cheap,  and Reaper, and if Cakewalk was available I would pay for it.

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I believe you meant to say:

?

Really, folks, look at this guy's content (as well has his change of handle). The only places he's "contributed" to are the "Delusional Linux" topic in Coffee House and here. The "is that all you got," the change of handle, the repeated assertions that he's "out of here" yet always coming back, it's obvious.

He's a skillful troll, and it's been fun to play Poke The Troll with him, but he's just getting a kick out of the attention and how much he can bait us.

And sincerely, Mr. Linux Advocates Are The Worst, my (red) hat is off to you. You played the 90's "Linux Loony" to a T. It was fun to revisit my younger days. ?

Happy to help,  but your wrong, typical name caller, am no troll.

• Meh 3

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I think @Lord Tim's post with the baker's analogy and @azslow3's post sum the situation up quite nicely.

Cakewalk by BandLab/SONAR are heavily reliant on the Windows operating system, and are extremely "Windows Compliant" in that regard.  That's why much older versions of SONAR will work on more modern versions of Windows, largely without issue.

This is mostly due to historical reasons.  Cakewalk/SONAR has always been based on Microsoft technologies - first on DOS, and then on Windows.  It leverages as much as it can from the operating system to make it perform well, which was very much needed on the slow hardware of the past.

The SONAR for Mac project (which was before my time as a staff member) looked into ways at getting it to run on a Mac with help from the guys at Codeweavers.  It did pretty well to be honest, but there were a bunch of performance issues and plugin support was a nightmare.  To cut a long story short,  to make it work well would have taken too long to develop, and cost far too much - something Gibson at the time was not prepared to fund.

As @azslow3 has mentioned,  various versions of SONAR have run on Linux in the past under Wine (in fact our CTO,  Noel was on the Wine team for a number of years), and again this was due to the tight integration with Windows, enabling Wine to handle the various calls correctly.  Plugin support and performance were yet again the main issues though, and the same time/cost issues apply to making it a Linux native app.

I developed on / managed developers working soley on Linux for 11 years prior to joining the Cakewalk team, and for many years prior to that had to work with both Windows and Linux.   I personally think it's an awesome operating system, but not for running a DAW on (in fact, I've pretty much Linux for everything apart from running a DAW). It's not that it's not capable - it certainly is - but lack of professional driver support and lack of commercial plugin support make it a non-starter for the majority of users. 

Great explanation, thanks. I can tell there will be no Cakewalk for linux coming, but if Reaper and Waveform can run on Linux and do so very well, then Linux can not be said to be good for lots of things but not for a DAW, when clearly it can be.

"Most computers." "42% of web devices." Etc, etc. This is a prime example of what my wife calls "technical truth." In other words, paltering.

While technically true that smartphones, servers, IOT devices and gaming consoles are in fact computers, using that definition is misleading and in the case of our religious zealot OP, intentionally so. But it really isn't an answer that facilitates clear communication.

Most people, when you say "computer," call to mind a box sitting on your desk with a monitor and keyboard attached to it; a desktop or laptop PC. Even those who know that their smartphone and the PCM (powertrain control module) in their car are also technically computers.

So, in the real world this is what the figures really look like:

Screenshot_20230623-143941_1.png.efd4bba6d82e949c240410f0b6d2328d.png

Even for those who "know better."

• Like 2

i had to look it up in order to eschew obfuscation:

VERB paltering (present participle)
        equivocate or prevaricate in action or speech:

"if you palter or double in your answers, I will have thee hung alive in an iron chain"

Edited by Glenn Stanton