Listening to this now

Mesh

When I was a child, I walked into a record store and asked the owner if he could recommend a saxophone record. I was in beginning band at school and didn't know any famous sax players yet. The clerk sent me home with this one.

The music was a bit over my head at the time, but I grew to love it. I wore out two vinyl LPs and finally got it in CD.

The orchestra was written and arranged, the sax and drum parts are completely improvised.

It's not jazz, it's not classical, it's not pop, it's not like anything Stan Getz did before or after, it's in a class by itself, and the sax improvisations are superb.

Focus - Stan Getz

(entire album)

Edited by Notes_Norton

The Ernie Kovacs Record Collection - Various Artists

Ernie was a gifted sight-gag comedian in the early, early days of Television. These cuts were originally foreground music for comedy skits, and most them hold up on their own, even if very dated. Saxophobia is one of my favorites for obvious reasons. I can't imaging playing like that, and I rarely listen to it, but when I do, it always makes me smile.

Edited by Notes_Norton

Analog and lots of patch cables. I couldn't listen to it every day.

Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Arkestra - Space Is The Place

I couldn't listen to this one every day either. In fact, I probably won't make it to the end. Sun Ra is a fantastic musician who IMHO went over the deep end. :D

But I love the outfit he wore on the album cover ;)

Edited by Notes_Norton

I don't listen to Christmas Music except on the gig where we play quite a few.

There's nothing wrong with Christmas Music and I enjoy playing it on the gig, but when I'm off gig, I listen to music we aren't playing just for the variety of it.

Up From the Sea It Arose and Ate Rio in One Swift Bite - George Duke

One of my favorite George Duke cuts.

Edited by Notes_Norton

Capriccio Italien - Tchaikovsky (Igor Manasherov, Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra)

A nice Sunday morning listen after 5 straight one-night gigs playing pop music. I dearly love the pop music we play, we had a great time, but variety is indeed the spice of life.

Edited by Notes_Norton
It's the only way I can get this forum to embed instead of just posting a link.

12 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Capriccio Italien - Tchaikovsky (Igor Manasherov, Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra)

A nice Sunday morning listen after 5 straight one-night gigs playing pop music. I dearly love the pop music we play, we had a great time, but variety is indeed the spice of life.

Was that being played a little quicker than normal?  I think they were Russian...

?)

• Haha 1