My Feature Wish List for 2020

Creative Sauce

16 hours ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Yes, I think this depends on the workflow which is probably different for many of us. . . .

Imagine that ONLY WHEN NEW audio tracks (or the audio part of the instrument tracks) are added to the Folder track, THEN they are automatically routed to the Folder patch point where they are summed together. . . .

Thanks for the very detailed explanation of how your folder patchpoint auto-routing for new audio tracks might work with several possible workflows. You address several things I wondered about in a previous thread related to auto-routing of tracks within folders

16 hours ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Or perhaps I didn't understand you.

You successfully clarified several aspects of how your proposal might be implemented. Since I didn't detail my workflow and current uses of Cakewalk, there was really nothing to understand or misunderstand. Earlier today I started to reply with a description of my current Cakewalk configuration, workflow, and music development plans, but that would be out of place in this thread. I think it would be more appropriate to a forum topic on "Personal Workflows and Uses of Cakewalk."

As I wrote in the previous thread on auto-routing of tracks in folders, I think this opens interesting possibilities,  Since my current projects are being built within Cakewalk with four hardware buses, if this auto-patchpoint routing feature is implemented, I hope it can handle the possibility that users  might not have a single default bus and the possibility that users might route different tracks within a folder to different outputs.

Regarding VCA channels...my Cakewalk column in the January  Sound on Sound is how to do various VCA functions in Cakewalk, using the existing functionality. Topics covered include: Bus-Based “VCA” Function, Grouping-Based “VCA” Function, VCA-Style Automation Offset, and VCA-Style Simultaneous Automation Write.

• Like 4

I've got to post my top two requests every chance I get:

1. Nested track folders

2. Importing individual tracks from other Cakewalk projects. I know  you can import entire projects (imperfectly), but it's kind of a bad workaround to have to do that and then delete all the tracks  you don't need.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Jensen said:

2. Importing individual tracks from other Cakewalk projects. I know  you can import entire projects (imperfectly), but it's kind of a bad workaround to have to do that and then delete all the tracks  you don't need.

Its already there...

"Track Templates"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Jensen said:

I use track templates all the time. My understanding is that they don't include the audio or midi content, the automation envelopes, etc. 

that's a different ball game for sure.

However it is easily accomplished by opening both projects and Copy/pasting from one project to the other.

17 minutes ago, chuckebaby said:

that's a different ball game for sure.

However it is easily accomplished by opening both projects and Copy/pasting from one project to the other.

Gotta beg to differ with you there. I want something that doesn't involve me opening the whole project, which often takes several minutes. I'm not the only one asking for this and it's available in at least one other DAW (Studio One) and I'm pretty sure it's in a few of the others too.

• Like 1

Marker Track? 

There's that fiddly little workaround I linked to here, and kudos to the dude who came up w/ it

.. but it's a pita really. The way it is now and has always been: tiny gray flags w/ tiny unreadable gray text that will actually superimpose over other markers' text if the  markers are close to each other.. is anyone really even remotely satisfied w/ that? May not be the most important feature request ever but it is one that's been getting requested for yeeeerz, many. This pro daw needs a proper marker track.. anything would be an improvement over the current deal. 

3 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Marker Track? 

There's that fiddly little workaround I linked to here, and kudos to the dude who came up w/ it

.. but it's a pita really. The way it is now and has always been: tiny gray flags w/ tiny unreadable gray text that will actually superimpose over other markers' text if the  markers are close to each other.. is anyone really even remotely satisfied w/ that? May not be the most important feature request ever but it is one that's been getting requested for yeeeerz, many. This pro daw needs a proper marker track.. anything would be an improvement over the current deal. 

Interesting workaround.

Agree that we need an integrated solution, seems like such an obvious and "easy" update to make.  

On 12/26/2019 at 1:38 PM, Jeremy Jensen said:

I've got to post my top two requests every chance I get:

1. Nested track folders

#2 - I do this from time to time. 

First Save the project!

Open both projects at the same time. (there is a check box in preferences to allow this)

Go to source project under window (main control bar)

Triple click the track number (to be sure all track info is selected)

I like to use Edit->copy special. (sometime I don't need everything)

Go to window and choose target project.

Add audio or Midi track

Move play cursor to the beginning of project.

Edit-> Paste special

done.

It looks like a lot of clicking but it only take time to load the second project. Copying and pasting the track only takes a minute.

Max Arwood

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Jeremy Jensen said:

Gotta beg to differ with you there. I want something that doesn't involve me opening the whole project, which often takes several minutes. I'm not the only one asking for this and it's available in at least one other DAW (Studio One) and I'm pretty sure it's in a few of the others too.

oh hey, I agree with you, im all for enhancements like this. Would be great to have an in-depth, customizable Insert Track template menu to include midi, audio, automation. I was simply giving you a work around which I thought might be helpful.

And you have to admit, its a lot easier that loading up a project and deleting all kinds of tracks just to salvage a few templates.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, Jeremy Jensen said:

My understanding is that they don't include the audio or midi content, the automation envelopes, etc

Where is this Audio being recalled from ? Midi I can understand as it is digital # recall. Audio however is not. That file needs to be found and placed. Which can lead to corruption 50% of the time.

I believe now as it is, Midi track templates will hold midi track data in them, have you tried it ?

Edited by chuckebaby

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 1:55 AM, Craig Anderton said:

Regarding VCA channels...my Cakewalk column in the January  Sound on Sound is how to do various VCA functions in Cakewalk, using the existing functionality. Topics covered include: Bus-Based “VCA” Function, Grouping-Based “VCA” Function, VCA-Style Automation Offset, and VCA-Style Simultaneous Automation Write.

I bought the article - but sorry to say to core point of VCA is not even mentioned - neither 'dry' or 'wet' is in article.

- Keeping the dry/wet relationsship while automating - that is the core point

And "Take the bus" example is ambiguous to me as I read it - you want to change dry/wet?

As I feel is most common having post fader sends - just automating faders will keep dry/wet relationship and as fader go down the send level do too in the right proportion. This compared to a drums bus, with sends on tracks feeding the bus - lowering bus will keep same amount go to reverb and thus altering dry/wet relationship - out from bus is lowered but sends abount stays the same.

Alternative to this is sacrificing another instance of reverb for drum bus alone, and have the return of reverb go to the normal drums bus - so you can automate this bus and perfectly keep dry wet relationsship.

Edited by LarsF

On 12/23/2019 at 7:27 PM, Base 57 said:

OK thanks. I guess linking automation to widget grouping will have to be a feature request.

Merry Christmas

I'm with you on this one.

Allowing one track to be like master(VCA) to the others - and in nested levels too - is so smooth.

So programming automation on a fader as master - this is superimposed(layered on top) on tracks it controls.

You can just do a fade on master - and you see a silhouette of what this does to tracks it controls, on top of tracks automation itself.

Then when done - you merge/freeze master into.

The write automation you are forced to do is just not as good as workflow. While doing it all in one go - you can use undo - and be fine with it. But if to go back later you are f-ked.

And forget about nested control.

Both Samplitude and Reaper has non-nestable VCA-similar approach.

ProTools, Cubase and StudioOne do it right - both on getting double visuals on what vca is doing on children it control, as well as allowing a vca to control other vca's.

But to finalize - Cakewalk control groups is astounding in itself. How you can make any control part of a group - spectacular!!!! Maintaining states on buttons and other reverse stuff - really, really nice. Not complaining about that.

But the offset mode is demanding a write operation realtime now and is burned in as soon as you stop automation.

Just that little bit missing to have a master control that works on automation level to the children in realtime and double visuals of automation and what vca do when total sum up on each child it controls. 

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/how-use-vca-groups

Edited by LarsF