Coffee/Espresso Machines

Mesh

I have a 2-5 cup  Mr. Coffee maker as I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. I have a Cuisinent Coffee Maker that grinds the coffee beans too. Use it when we have guests over or when I want to treat myself to fresh ground cup of Java.  I like the Trader Joe's whole Bean coffee myself.

• Like 2

Mesh I use the Aeropress occasionally too. Makes a great cup of coffee. Also use a french press which is similar but you don't need filters for it. You don't need to be French to use it BTW 😁

I am sort of a coffee nut...ok I take that back. I'm a full blown addict. I am a functional addict though. Two cups a day max. Never mind the cups are a gallon each. I roast my own green coffee beans using the heat gun bread maker method. Most of what's good about coffee is in the bean types and methods of roast. Most people never have a truly good cup of coffee. Another thing about coffee. It doesn't have a very long shelf life even if you keep it in an air tight container. Two weeks max and it looses most of the good flavor. The first week is usually the best. Fresh roasted as in just out of the roaster to the pot is amazing with the right beans. Some will tell you that it gives off too much co2 that early. If that concerns you wait a day or two. Never bothered me.

Machines I use- Cusinart. This machine sometimes gets a bad wrap because the people who use it let coffee grounds get into the valve you push for coffee. Never been a problem for me. I love mine. I set the timer the night before. The next morning a cup of coffee is waiting on me before I go out the door.

For espresso I use a  KRUPS automatic. They have a newer generation of this one out now, though this one might still be for sale. I love mine. Can't beat it for being on the run in the morning. I have had this for two years with no issues. It's a "bean to cup machine". Dump in roasted beans and it makes espresso. Has a built in milk frother. Don't let the initial price scare you. I managed a deal at Bed Bath and Beyond using  discounts and coupons and got the price WAY down.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tim.

That Krups machine looks to be very nice albeit a steep price. Most of the reviews I've read say the grinder seems to go out after a few years and to repair it isn't worth the cost (most get a new or different machine). I'd hate for it to go out after a few years but, I do like a 'good' cup of coffee. Generally, any machine that has a lot of features will also have more issues.

Appreciate the excellent info here (from a true connoisseur).   :)

Looking into the Cusinart one now....

I can only speak for myself, but I've had no problems with mine after over two years. I don't use it every day though so maybe there is some truth to the reviews. The main reason I bought mine was because I just don't have the time to fire up and tend to a Breville Barista. I wanted something that made espresso fast. It does that. 

If you're not as into espresso then I guess it wouldn't make as much sense for you. I like espresso ok, but drinking too much of that would have me wired all the time 🙃.

On the cheap a french press is tough to beat. The main thing I liked about the Cuisinart was no glass pitcher to accidentally break. I have had a few of those Keurig machines and try to avoid the environmental impact the plastic cups have. Plus I can use any coffee I want to use in my Cuisinart. One thing to watch out for is brewing temperature. Many consumer brewers don't really get the water hot enough to make a good cuppa. Ideally 196-205 degrees is best. 212 is boiling and I think manufacturers don't like the potential scalding risk involved...or maybe they are just cheap and don't  want to invest in a machine that takes the water to the right temps. The Cusiniart gets to 190F. Still a little low. Compared to others that might only get to 165 that's pretty good. Commercial brewers usually make better coffee for this reason.

Good coffee = the right exposure time>fresh water>right temp>good beans. A simple recipe yet many coffee makers only make "passable" coffee" or "good enough" for the masses to drink it. JMOP

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Starise said:

That one looks very similar to this one

I have it. Unfortunately it developed a split right down the side of the lid after a year. I never dropped it?  I might try the one you mentioned. thx.

They both  are the same container, except for the design on the outside that mine has.  They both are made by the company TightVac  (Link Fixed)

Edited by jesse g

I also am a big fan of the aeropress, though I usually use a Hario dripper because my wife prefers it. The machine I've got in my office is the Behmor Brazen+, which is very good. It's designed to be an automated pourer-overer if memory serves, and has certification for things like brewing at the correct temperatures, etc. I'm not sure how easily available they are at the moment, but I'd buy one again.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/behmor-brazen-plus-coffeemaker

• Thanks 1