Sign in to follow this  
Vyacheslav

Need the function of cutting MIDI clips into separate notes!

Hi All!

Is there a function in Cakewalk to cut MIDI clips into separate notes in the solo part of the instrument?

Can someone write a CAL script?

I will be grateful! And I think I'm not alone! :-)

The whole purpose of clips is to be able to treat a group of notes as a single object. If you need to edit/process individual notes, you can do that in the PRV or Event List. 

13 minutes ago, David Baay said:

The whole purpose of clips is to be able to treat a group of notes as a single object. If you need to edit/process individual notes, you can do that in the PRV or Event List. 

+1

8 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Why do you need this?

I need to process each note with envelopes. For example, The Trumpet is an Expression Controller (CC11): selecting each note in a clip is inconvenient; and clips cut into notes can be easily selected with a mouse.

3 hours ago, Vyacheslav said:

I need to process each note with envelopes. For example, The Trumpet is an Expression Controller (CC11): selecting each note in a clip is inconvenient; and clips cut into notes can be easily selected with a mouse.

Why don't you just use the track's in line piano roll instead of the PRV?

1 hour ago, Vyacheslav said:

I don't like piano roll. :) I never use it. Since 1995. :) 

You don't need to use it for more than as a  guide for aligning your envelopes with your notes. 

2 hours ago, JoseC said:

You don't need to use it for more than as a  guide for aligning your envelopes with your notes.

Thank you, but I don’t see the ability to edit envelopes in the piano roll: I created the CC11 envelope in Track View, but I can’t see it in the piano roll.

When using automation for CC data, it will not be available in the PRV but it will be available to the inline PRV

To use the regular PRV, CC data must be recorded like the rest of the MIDI data or entered directly into the controller pane in the PRV.

TY for this recent line of discussion. Since the X Series, I had never before stumbled onto the Event Filter and had been missing it.  Also, after searching "inline" in the current reference guide and bouncing between the guide and a recent tune, I found a chain nested of menus/submenus that enabled me to make the inline piano roll view  acessible via double clicking behavior.

I did not know about this specific personal workflow preference (perhaps because it is somewhat "hidden"), but retrospectively it is the kind of workflow preference I had in mind a month or so ago when I suggested a new category ("workflow preferences," I think I called it for Lenses  [soon-to-be Workspaces]).  

So, thanks for pointing out these features!

image.png.7c0d2e7f7e448156455c83ed6a6f4995.png   image.thumb.png.526332d0378179624be4af4e794462bf.png 

image.thumb.png.28f36aa87b5e43be359937298eca5a21.png

Edited by User 905133
to add an internal link to the suggestion of "Workflow Preferences"

2 hours ago, scook said:

To use the regular PRV, CC data must be recorded like the rest of the MIDI data or entered directly into the controller pane in the PRV.

That seems like a better option than what you want, because you don't have to first select the note, then add the controller. You can just Alt+click in the controller pane at the beginning of a note, and click at the desired value. If needed, you can then drag to edit the controller value.

Speediest workaround to split notes to clips:

- Set 'Selection after single split' in Preferences > Editing to 'Right portion'.

- Select the clip

- Alternately type Tab and S as fast as you can to split your way through the clip.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vyacheslav said:

Thank you, but I don’t see the ability to edit envelopes in the piano roll: I created the CC11 envelope in Track View, but I can’t see it in the piano roll.

What Scook said: I said "inline piano roll" (in Track View), not the Piano Roll View

8 hours ago, David Baay said:

Speediest workaround to split notes to clips:

- Set 'Selection after single split' in Preferences > Editing to 'Right portion'.

- Select the clip

- Alternately type Tab and S as fast as you can to split your way through the clip.

Thanks, it works! But this is what happens:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlLNG4SDVWiJgoh-jkaGZ6j3B_fRUA

That is, one press of Tab and then S is normal, and the second calls the TrackInspector, activates the Solo track, activates Loop, opens the Browser and mutes the clip. :) But I will practice! 💪

Edited by Vyacheslav

11 hours ago, scook said:

Yes, thanks, I know that. But this method is not convenient for me.

Yes. But with your method, I need to select each note separately, constantly changing the size of the rhythmic grid. And when a clip is cut into notes, each note is highlighted when a clip is selected and without changing the rhythmic grid. That is, this method is faster with fewer mouse manipulations.

blob.thumb.png.5594e74bc10160d6b427cb1d3136cbea.png