Jump to content
Skyline_UK

Lexicon Pantheon retrieved from Sonar 8, won't show up in Cakewalk?

Recommended Posts

I always like the Lexicon Pantheon reverb so have just retrieved it from my Sonar 8 disks (by installing and choosing only that plugin to install).  I did this on an old PC so as not to disturb my new PC's CW install.  I copied the files over into the Shared Plugins folder on my new PC but when I launch CW Pantheon doesn't show up in DirectX Audio FX.  I wonder if I have to chance it and do the limited install on my new PC, or could there be another reason it doesn't appear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best way to get plug-ins from an older CW DAW is

  • run the old installer
  • select the 64bit option
  • select the advanced install options
  • select the plug-ins from the advanced install pick list

This insures the plug-ins and supporting files are installed correctly.

The reason copying a DX plug-in does not show up in the plug-in list is because it must be registered using regsvr32. To register a dx plug-in

  • navigate to the folder containing the plug-in dll
  • open a command line window as administrator
  • enter regsvr32 thePluginName.dll

This registration step is performed automatically by the installer and is one reason to use the installers to add plug-ins. Some other reasons to use the installer are some plug-ins have supporting files and registry entries which may be missed when copying from a previous installation.

 

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks (again) scook.

I couldn't get that to work for some reason, error messages popping up.  So I did it the 'proper' way and all is good now.  Cheers.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bundled Pantheon reverb is a DX plug-in. It should not be copied into a folder in the VST scan path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tons of old projects that used the 32 bit Lexicon Pantheon reverb. When I open them in CbB it can't find the Lexicon Pantheon reverb, because it's 32 bit and CbB is 64 bit. If I install the 64 bit Lexicon Pantheon reverb, will it work with CbB? 

And when I open an old project is there a way for it to use the 64 bit Lexicon Pantheon reverb? Or would I have to manually replace the 32 bit with the 64 bit Lexicon Pantheon reverb in the FX rack? Currently what I do with those old projects is to open Platinum 32 bit and then everything works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were two different versions of a Pantheon plug-ins bundled with SONAR.

Originally, SONAR included a surround version.  It worked in stereo and surround sound tracks. This was 32bit only.

Later, when the 64bit version of SONAR was introduced a stereo only version of Pantheon was included which was 32bit and 64bit. The 64bit version of this plug-in will work in CbB.

If the projects have the 32bit version of the second plug-in, CbB will automatically replace them with the 64bit version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scook said:

The bundled Pantheon reverb is a DX plug-in. It should not be copied into a folder in the VST scan path.

Well I did and it works perfectly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks scook, I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. I now have the 64 bit Lexicon Pantheon reverb and when I open an old 32 bit project in CbB the reverb does load just like Noel said.

Does anyone know about this old plugin - Cakewalk FX Chorus? I used that as part of my template and have it in a lot of old projects and it won't load with CbB. Is there a 64 bit version of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gmp said:

Does anyone know about this old plugin - Cakewalk FX Chorus

Pretty sure that is one of the DSP FX series which was never ported to 64bit.

The best solution for old projects that rely on 32bit DX plug-ins which were never ported to 64bit is

  • Install the most recent version of 32bit SONAR available adding any missing 32bit plug-ins from older versions of SONAR
  • Open the projects in the 32bit DAW, take stock of the 32bit only DX plug-ins then either
    • Bounce the tracks or
    • Migrate to plug-ins that have 64bit versions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anybody thinks they can hear the difference between 32 and 64 bit, they can't.  I could name tons of music done in 16 bit that has way more public appeal than what 90% of what cork sniffers produce at 64 bit. Most music making one hit wonders rich still ends up going to 16 bit so I don't get the importance of 32 vs 64 bit. No one would ever know if that chorus was 32 or 64 bit. The chorus that Brian May used had way less sound quality than 16 bit and I never heard that his sound sucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't make the mistake of confusing digital audio with the platform and software used. This thread is about the latter.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 3:20 PM, Jerry Freese said:

If anybody thinks they can hear the difference between 32 and 64 bit, they can't.  I could name tons of music done in 16 bit that has way more public appeal than what 90% of what cork sniffers produce at 64 bit. Most music making one hit wonders rich still ends up going to 16 bit so I don't get the importance of 32 vs 64 bit. No one would ever know if that chorus was 32 or 64 bit. The chorus that Brian May used had way less sound quality than 16 bit and I never heard that his sound sucked.

The difference in audio is not the point when choosing between 32/64 bits. 64 bit version can utilize much more memory, thus giving far better performance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed the instruction of installing Sonar 8.5 in the 64 bit version and installed the pantheon too but it still does not show up in my Sonar by Bandlab. What I am doing wrong.? I badly need the Pantheon reverb. Please help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Noah said:

I followed the instruction of installing Sonar 8.5 in the 64 bit version and installed the pantheon too but it still does not show up in my Sonar by Bandlab. What I am doing wrong.? I badly need the Pantheon reverb. Please help.

 

1. Make sure you include the SONAR 8.5 's VST folder in CbB VST folder Preferences. Then do full re scan.

2. You probably want to pick another plugin layout, in case you use customized layout that hide plugins to appear when you right click FX bin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, James Argo said:

1. Make sure you include the SONAR 8.5 's VST folder in CbB VST folder Preferences. Then do full re scan.

2. You probably want to pick another plugin layout, in case you use customized layout that hide plugins to appear when you right click FX bin.

The Pantheon plug-in bundled with SONAR Producer was DX format.

It is registered when installed and does not get scanned by the VST scanner.

A VST reset will not help. Looking in the "Sort by" layouts provided by CbB is good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just to be clear here folks you can most certainly run some 32 bit plug ins in CbB. It's just not always stable depending on the plug in. I have a couple of 32 bit VST's that I use a lot and they never cause issues. But I have not always had success. Example is the Edrol Orchestral. It's a cool old 16 channel VST sort of like the tts-1 but will definitely freeze up a project if used.  

I have never had a problem fetching the Lexicon from Sonar 8.5. As said I just run the install of 8.5 64bit,  and uncheck most of the stuff there. I think I keep Lexicon, true Pianos and V Vocal. It is best to do this before you install CbB but I've done it after the fact as well and no harm was done. 

 

2020-12-01.png

Edited by John Vere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2020 at 6:11 AM, John Vere said:

And just to be clear here folks you can most certainly run some 32 bit plug ins in CbB. It's just not always stable depending on the plug in. I have a couple of 32 bit VST's that I use a lot and they never cause issues. But I have not always had success. Example is the Edrol Orchestral. It's a cool old 16 channel VST sort of like the tts-1 but will definitely freeze up a project if used.  

I have never had a problem fetching the Lexicon from Sonar 8.5. As said I just run the install of 8.5 64bit,  and uncheck most of the stuff there. I think I keep Lexicon, true Pianos and V Vocal. It is best to do this before you install CbB but I've done it after the fact as well and no harm was done. 

 

2020-12-01.png

That's strange.. I'm still using Edirol Orchestral in CbB until this very day without any problem, versatile kind of orchestra that sits nicely on mix like other Roland's synths. I'm on Win7 x64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...