Can't locate drum map files

cwiggins999

Question

I'm wanting to assign a Dimension Pro MIDI track to a drum map so that the step sequencer will use actual names. I'm pretty sure I've done this in the past. But when  I bring up the drum map manager, there are no available map names in the "Presets" dropdown. I can see a folder full of maps at "C:\Users\cwigg\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Drum Maps", and this is the directory that is specified for drum maps in the "Folder Location" preference. Any suggestions?

9 answers to this question

To add a drum map preset to a MIDI track use the MIDI output drop down to select a new drum map.

If using an instrument track, the click on the MIDI tab in the inspector to gain access to the MIDI output drop down.

To populate the presets drop down in the drum map manager, click New to create a new drum map for the current project.

I've tried that, but the presets dropdown is blank - it opens and takes up about 1/3 of the preference popup height, but there are no entries. I also tried creating a new map, clicked the disk icon for save. The map file was created in the specified location, but it doesn't show up in the dropdown. (I've updated to the latest version of Cakewalk - 2019.09(Build 70, 64 bit).

This morning I decided to create a new folder (with short no-space name) and copy drum maps from the Appdata folder hierarchy to that one. I changed the folder preference and my maps are displaying now. So something to do with either permissions or folder name (perhaps length).

One other question - is there a way to change the "Out Port" of a map for all entries? I started with a GM Drums complete kit, but all ports are to my MIDI interface and I'd like to change them to the soft synth - and not have to do it one at a time.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:37 AM, loyd said:

I have the same problem.... I know this is an old question but why isn't it solved?

seems strange that a folder is specified but unusable?

Is it really the only solution..i.e. change file storage address/?

I see a pattern

You know when a user finds a solution that works for them, the discussion tends to stop.

Maybe create your own thread or ask for help from support@cakewalk.com

While I have never experienced the issue the OP reported, I can tell you why I prefer to use a custom drum map location.

CbB ships with a bunch of drum maps.

Rather than wade through the sea of maps, I created a custom location and setup a few that I use.

This makes the drop down much smaller.

Clearing the default location works unless running an installer or personalization that repopulates the default.

Custom drum map locations do no get populated by installers or personalization.

That said, CbB 2021.06 effectively eliminated my desire to use drum maps at all.

Instead I prefer to use instrument definitions.

Read out it in the Note Names in the Piano Roll view persist per track section here

To that end, I have published instrument definitions for SI-Drums, Superior Drummer 3 and Addictive Drums 2.

Other drum synths I use Sitala, session Drummer 3 and BFD already show drum names next to the PRV note pane.

Instrument definitions are easy to create and add to CbB. They are discussed in the definitions linked above.

• Like 1

Yeah, I am sure whatever the user is experiencing can be addressed but it is hard to deal with "me too!" replies on effectively closed threads.

Once the OP found a solution (one that I used myself), I did not pursue this issue any further.