Jump to content
  • 0
Peter Ziegler

Midi keyboard-controller (KORG microKEY-61) does not work

Question

Midi keyboard-controller (KORG microKEY-61) does not work 

I'm currently making decision for my new DAW; 
I have installed Cakewalk and would like to buy Sonar Professional.

when I load a softwaresynthesizer, it can not be played by keyboard.

Voreinstellungen - MIDI - Geräte:
  microKEY-61 1 KEYBOARD and microKEY-61 1 CTRL are shown both as active (see uploaded image)

curious: KORG microKEY-61 works without problems using the following DAWs:

- MAGIX Samplitude Music Studio 2010
- Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (demo)
- Reaper (demo)

so it should not be a MIDI-config problem of Windows 7

any help is highly appreciated

best regards 
Peter

Sonar.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, Peter Ziegler said:

I have installed Cakewalk and would like to buy Sonar Professional.

 

buying Sonar Professional is not possible as Gibson ceased development in late 2017. 

Your option is to download and install Cakewalk by Bandlab.

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows

As for the (KORG microKEY-61), have you selected the korg as your MIDI input device and  turned input echo on in the MIDI track?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Promidi said:

buying Sonar Professional is not possible as Gibson ceased development in late 2017. 

Your option is to download and install Cakewalk by Bandlab.

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows

As for the (KORG microKEY-61), have you selected the korg as your MIDI input device and  turned input echo on in the MIDI track?

buying Sonar Professional:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Buy-Now/SONAR-Professional

> have you selected the korg as your MIDI input device and  turned input echo on in the MIDI track?

YES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Peter Ziegler said:

buying Sonar Professional:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Buy-Now/SONAR-Professional

> have you selected the korg as your MIDI input device and  turned input echo on in the MIDI track?

YES

Clicking on the Buy Now link takes you to the "Cakewalk Announcement" mentioning that they "we ceased new product development and reduced overall operations this past Friday"  Past Friday meaning back in late 2017.  I guarantee you cannot purchase Sonar Professional.

Can you tell up about your MIDI set up.  When you press keys on the korg , do you see any MIDI activity on the MIDI track?  Have you double checked your MIDI channels in the MIDI routing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
34 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Clicking on the Buy Now link takes you to the "Cakewalk Announcement" mentioning that they "we ceased new product development and reduced overall operations this past Friday"  Past Friday meaning back in late 2017.  I guarantee you cannot purchase Sonar Professional.

Can you tell up about your MIDI set up.  When you press keys on the korg , do you see any MIDI activity on the MIDI track?  Have you double checked your MIDI channels in the MIDI routing?

no MIDI activity on the MIDI track; no activity on the keyboard of the selected synthesizer; 

because I'm a bloody beginner without knowledge of the MIDI internals  I should give up and concentrate testing on my other DAWs where the KORG works without problems

nevertheless thanks for your help :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Peter Ziegler said:

no MIDI activity on the MIDI track

Do you have the keyboard selected as an input on your instrument track?

image.png.b65e367851fcc7e837ab3a6142d15ecd.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to change "midi track" to "instrument track

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

Do you have the keyboard selected as an input on your instrument track?

image.png.b65e367851fcc7e837ab3a6142d15ecd.png

my keyboard is not selectable:

681062817_SONAR1.JPG.45cc9e464b9e38ec62e86ee1fb403970.JPG

my configuration:

366296889_SONAR2.JPG.95e5b3112262cdf5be302db4c7d7848a.JPG

326338035_SONAR3.JPG.358107668fde3e96cca1d0c7ca250a99.JPG

tried with and without SysEx; does not change anything

1340365547_SONAR4.JPG.3a7b3de0e03d342a1a4e097cb99f9b40.JPG

1830847429_SONAR5.JPG.2683606967daa02898fd78a1e4520fab.JPG

I can not find a suitable controller for my keyboard:

731624164_SONAR6.JPG.7e36455c5592d8e1737a063adbf780c6.JPG

501253105_SONAR7.JPG.7217923bec1d001bdf2102f762562cd6.JPG

 

any idea ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

This is an image of an audio track input drop down. A MIDI keyboard controller will never show up in this drop down as it is not an audio source

SONAR 1.JPG

The keyboard should show up in MIDI and instrument track input controls

Here is an image showing the headers  and default icons for an audio track (track 1) and instrument track (track 2) and a MIDI track (track 3)

JKFrTQy.png

I see the MS-20 in the FX bin. If this is the synth version of the plug-in (which appears to be the case given the plug-in label in the FX Rack) it would be better to add the plug-in using and instrument track or an audio+MIDI track pair.

It is possible to add synths directly to an audio FX Rack but in order to control the synth with MIDI data a MIDI track must be added to route the data to the synth. While this method of adding synths is supported, using one of the more modern methods is advised. Either drag and drop the synth from the plug-in browser to an empty area in the track view, use the main menu Insert > Soft Synth, right-click in an empty part the track view header area then click Insert instrument or use the Add Track menu selecting the Instrument tab (see the "So erstellen Sie Instrumentenspuren" section).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
45 minutes ago, scook said:

... in order to control the synth with MIDI data a MIDI track must be added to route the data to the synth. ..

Great ! that worked  😊

I added a MIDI track and connected with   Input=microKEY-61 1 Keyboard   and    Output=MS-20 1

now I can hear the sound when I play the KORG.

thanks a lot; I really appreciate your help !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...