Jump to content
Jon L. Jacobi

Add hide option to dock menu

Recommended Posts

There are lenses that I've created that don't include some of the collapsible views. But to get rid of the inspector, etc. I must float, then close. A menu item for hide, along with the other dock options would be a cleaner approach.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you try to list out the steps you are trying to do ?

It could be a bug of some sort and that's what I'd like to help you with. Writing up the report.

Also keep in mind, sometimes when Lenses are used in conjunction with Screensets, funny things can happen. For example, a locked Screenset may be preventing certain views from being docked/undocked when using a Lens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think I described it pretty well, but...

1. I open the docking menu and select undock.

2. When the window/view is undocked, I use the close window button to close it and it goes away. 

3. To bring it back, I go to the Views menu and select the appropriate view.

I have not used screensets (shouldn't it be view sets?). I don't even know where they are. 

Edited by Jon L. Jacobi
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jon,

Not sure why your inspector won't go away (like it's supposed to).

Did the hotkey change or something?🙄

I just click "I" and it opens and closes without me undocking it. 

Hasn't changed as far as I remember...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, Jon L. Jacobi said:

There are lenses that I've created that don't include some of the collapsible views. But to get rid of the inspector, etc. I must float, then close. A menu item for hide, along with the other dock options would be a cleaner approach.

Interesting, if I understand what you are asking for.  I was in a "Matrix" screenset which had no Inspector window. Upon pressing "I" it returned as a floating window. A second "I" closed it. When I docked it, to get rid of it (i.e., not just collapse it)  requires two steps--undock and close. Correct me if I am wrong, you are looking for an additional option here ("Undock and Close").  That way the "I" keyboard shortcut can be used to open and close it.

I tried what arlen2133 suggested with the Inspector docked in two different locations. "I" collapsed it as opposed to closing it.

BTW, I agree that for stuff like this, screensets are handier than lenses.

image.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you could call it undock and close, but all I really want to do is hide it.  I actually prefer it docked, I just found that I could get rid of it by undocking it and closing it. Maybe there's another way? I find most DAWs massive overkill in terms of features and visuals so I like to hide as much of it as I can.  Collapsed doesn't count as hidden in my mind. 

As to the screensets, I know there's supposed to be a module in the control bar, but I don't see it. See the attachment. What am I missing?

screensets where.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever parts seem to be missing from the UI, often it is the result of a lens. Try setting the lens drop down to None.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Maybe collapse would meet your needs? Either keyboard toggle "I" as suggested or the << or the v then collapse might work for you. 

Not sure why you don't have Screensets listed as a module. I switched to the Basic Lense and then right clicked on the Control Bar.  I know I made a lense without the Virtual Controller item under the Views menu.  Not sure if you could have made a lense without Screenset. 

Addendum: Yup, what scook said: quickest way to see if its a lens is to switch to None!

Addendum 2: Another yup--I created a lens w/o Sceenset option under Modules; so, it's possible!

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to add an image of a lense w/o Screenset under Modules
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the lens manager can hide Control Bar modules. Here is an image of the section in the lens manager

ogvk9gh.png

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Jon L. Jacobi Not sure if I started a public reply to the following, or if I sent it as a PM.*  But this might be related.  

On 9/26/2019 at 9:50 PM, Jon L. Jacobi said:

To be honest, I don't even see the screensets module in the early release though I've read about it and remember it. I find lens and screenset completely redundant, so maybe the latter is gone.

If you have created a favorite lens (or two or more)  and you want to be have the Screenset option on the Control Bar, try loading the lens, go to Lens Manager, check [  ] Screenset as a Control Bar Module and resave. If that doesn't work, maybe there's another issue.

*I vaguely recall starting to identify in that thread some of the differences that I saw and that others have described, but I felt I didn't know enough to be able to be do a competent explanation, and I don't think I was able to find the threads/posts where others identified some differences and made recommendations on using them.

ADDENDUM:  Found the posts I had been looking for when I was trying to respond to the redundancy issue: here and here. I remember being too tired that night.  Hope these posts are as helpful to you as they were to me.

 

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to share links to several posts that might help.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, then I did this myself. I'm finally getting it, I think. Lenses can actually hide stuff as well as remember the windows layout if you so choose. Screensets are just arrangements of the views, yes? Sort of a sub-lens, though if I remember correctly, they were implemented first. 

I'm not a huge fan of the language involved here. Obviously, I didn't find it particularly intuitive or consistent and there seems to some overlap. After that, it was all me mucking around without reading the users guide, though I did a bit after I started all this. Part of my review process, though this is not for a review. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 12:50 AM, Jon L. Jacobi said:

Ah, then I did this myself. I'm finally getting it, I think. Lenses can actually hide stuff as well as remember the windows layout if you so choose. Screensets are just arrangements of the views, yes? Sort of a sub-lens, though if I remember correctly, they were implemented first. 

I'm not a huge fan of the language involved here. Obviously, I didn't find it particularly intuitive or consistent and there seems to some overlap. After that, it was all me mucking around without reading the users guide, though I did a bit after I started all this. Part of my review process, though this is not for a review. 

Also, Lenses are global whereas Screensets are per project. 

The idea of Lenses is to streamline workflow, so you can focus on a particular task by removing the items you don't need for that task.

Screensets on the other hand are different layouts within a project. For example, track view on set 1, console on set 2, PRV for track 1 on set 3, PRV for track 2 on set 4 etc.

Lenses are down to personal taste. Personally, I don't use them as I find things changing in the control bar confusing - i.e. things aren't where I'm used to... but I guess everyone is different. Others prefer to remove the "noise" and hide what they're not going to use.

  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/6/2019 at 6:41 AM, msmcleod said:

Also, Lenses are global whereas Screensets are per project. 

The idea of Lenses is to streamline workflow, so you can focus on a particular task by removing the items you don't need for that task.

Screensets on the other hand are different layouts within a project. For example, track view on set 1, console on set 2, PRV for track 1 on set 3, PRV for track 2 on set 4 etc.

Lenses are down to personal taste. Personally, I don't use them as I find things changing in the control bar confusing - i.e. things aren't where I'm used to... but I guess everyone is different. Others prefer to remove the "noise" and hide what they're not going to use.

Clear, excellent summary of some need-to-know differences! Should be included in a "Beginner's Guide to Exploring Lenses" perhaps under "Part 1: Choose the right tool for the task."

Just one use of swapping lenses: I have my customized, easy-for-me-to-see Control Bar. However, sometimes I want to see/try what others are describing (techniques, problems, solutions, etc.). For me, its easiest to switch to the new Basic Lens which forces a standard theme. From there I can use one of the other factory lenses, which retains the forced theme from the Basic Len. Finally (when done), I can just load my preferred personal lens and my own project is pretty much back to where I started.

Steve

Update: The behavior of the Basic Lens forcing a standard theme has been changed.  See Noel's post about this change.

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to strikeout a procedure that is no longer valid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we first add an Instrument Track, the plug-in's UI opens if we have that checked in the dialog. I always have that checked in the dialog because there are never any situations where I want to add an instrument and then not choose a patch or whatever.

However, when we Replace Synth, the UI stays closed, which in my case at least, means that every time I have to go through the extra step of opening the UI.

So it would be very handy to have the instrument's UI open when I Replace Synth as well as when I create an Instrument Track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like the lens functionality quite a bit, as well as that of screensets.  Once you have it sussed out, it's fine. My only comment has been that there's a certain amount of overlap, and that "Lenses",  "Views", and "Screensets" are conceptually inconsistent and not particularly accurate. I'm pretty sure I would've reached understanding a lot quicker with something such as "Overviews" (Global view?), "Views", and "View Sets", for instance.  There's quite likely something better. 

Not  a big deal. Just throwing it out there. 

Edited by Jon L. Jacobi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

When we first add an Instrument Track, the plug-in's UI opens if we have that checked in the dialog. I always have that checked in the dialog because there are never any situations where I want to add an instrument and then not choose a patch or whatever.

However, when we Replace Synth, the UI stays closed, which in my case at least, means that every time I have to go through the extra step of opening the UI.

So it would be very handy to have the instrument's UI open when I Replace Synth as well as when I create an Instrument Track.

Maybe start another thread for this so the devs see it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...