Creating build-up with loop sample automation

Migge

Question

Is it possible to create a build-up by loop range/length automation?

I want to take a audio sample, looping it for 8 bars and during these 8 bars controll how much is played of the loop by either using markers or just controlling the length of the clip thats is played. Going from the whole loop to tighting it up to just being played 1/16 of a bar and then back again for instance.

I know its possible manually by copy paste, and also Momentum offers this possibilty by midi. 

Buts does Cakewalk have it in Groove Clip /Loop Construction?

4 answers to this question

You are sort of asking two questions here. The built-in loop construction view is Alt-7 on the keyboard.

As far as playing back varying lengths of that loop "on demand," if that loop always starts at the beginning, you could try using the Matrix View (Alt-5), and adjust the settings to stop playback between cells so that you can MIDI-control the duration of what is played.

There is a very old tutorial series that is still (mostly) applicable for most of CbB (it was made for SONAR X2). The chapter list and videos are on separate pages. What you are asking about are Chapter 26 (Matrix View) and Chapter 35 (Groove Loops).

You are right, so these videos were very good for me, and I know how to do it with the techniques shown. 

What I was hoping for, was to be able to edit the playback length with automation envelopes. Instead of me triggering or editing midi/samples.

I wanted to make an nice non-linear (exponential) curve of the playback time or even an S-type easily. From full length to minimum back to full. 

Another question is I guess is can you automation write, playback time?

Does that make sense? 

Absolutely, automation lanes are commonly used for material that is resident within a track. This is a link to an old help file page, but there are also videos online to help explain as well. Try to be as descriptive as possible with searches, and automation lane videos will pop up for you. Mike at Creative Sauce has a couple of them here and here. I wasn't clear from your OP if you were looking to modify performance real time or were focused on mixing (where the track contents are static, but you want to adjust that content).

I've seen Mikes videos and it's still not the way I want to do it, since Playback time is not a parameter I seem to be able to edit by automation.

Its fine, there are other ways to do it as are shown in all the other material.