folder tracks as bus

Eve Ripper

On 9/30/2019 at 5:03 PM, JoseC said:

You can actually do that. Click the folder to select it, and it will select all tracks within it. Then just CTL+click the output of any selected track and change it to the bus you want. All tracks  will change outputs to that bus.

Would like to see it as in Studio one

A9DD267A-4D91-46D1-AA32-F0E02742B136.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 9/30/2019 at 6:45 AM, Eve Ripper said:

I would like also to see in "folder" option to route it to a specific BUS.

Instead of routing many synth tracks to one bus I would like just to do one click for folder and auto-route it to selected bus.

1 hour ago, Jon L. Jacobi said:

I personally like the original suggestion. The folder as a bus. You don't have to use the functionality if you don't wish to, but it's there is you want it. KISS.

With this proposal, if "bus" were a property of "folder" such that all tracks in that folder were assigned to a specific bus, what would happen when a new track were moved to the folder? Would it automatically be forced to the folder's designated bus? Would it retain its original bus? Would there be a check box someplace to make the default behavior one or the other of these two (and maybe something else)?

Right now, as I understand it, the option exists to assign all audio tracks currently in a folder to be assigned to an existing bus, a new bus, etc. en masse by holding down Ctrl and selecting an output.

At present, I don't make extensive use of busses, but probably will during the coming year; I do make use of multiple outputs and folders and I am wondering how this proposed option might work.

It seems to me that a checkbox that says "[   ] automatically assign all audio and instrument tracks in each folder to the output of the first track in the folder" should be unchecked by default so as not to  catch users by surprise (maybe with an "Are you sure?" warning).   I suppose there could also be another checkbox that says "[   ]allow new tracks added to a folder assigned to a single bus to retain their assigned busses."

Interesting possibilities.

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to add a close quotation mark near the end

9 hours ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

At present, I don't make extensive use of busses, but probably will during the coming year; I do make use of multiple outputs and folders and I am wondering how this proposed option might work.

My example is - I have recorded my sampled drums on iPad. I export them to Cakewalk project, choose them - add to the folder - select bus or create new. Now all my drums are routed to special drum bus, where I can do mixing.

9 hours ago, Eve Ripper said:

My example is - I have recorded my sampled drums on iPad. I export them to Cakewalk project, choose them - add to the folder - select bus or create new. Now all my drums are routed to special drum bus, where I can do mixing.

I know it might not be exactly what your looking for but you could create a track template. These templates can contain folder and multiple tracks that also include buses. I have some track templates that consist of 12 tracks nested in a folder. This is my drum template for doing almost exactly what you do.

PS- Track templates also include routing.

Here's a good example. I made this video several years ago but it still works today.

I agree with the OP 100%. Studio One's "folder as bus" feature is incredibly useful. In Cake you have to create an aux track and place it in the folder and route all the tracks in the folder to the aux track (which acts as a bus). Sure there are workarounds, but it would be simple and clean to add this feature. 

4 hours ago, D Chance Gold said:

I agree with the OP 100%. Studio One's "folder as bus" feature is incredibly useful. In Cake you have to create an aux track and place it in the folder and route all the tracks in the folder to the aux track (which acts as a bus). Sure there are workarounds, but it would be simple and clean to add this feature. 

What happens in Studio One if you have a folder assigned to one bus and then you add a track to that folder that is assigned to a different bus and/or output?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also what happens with a control surface that separates tracks and buses as a Mackie Control does?  If your buses are all over the track view how can a surface consolidate them to adjust them in a bus pane?  An MCU has a button to access the buses to control. 

Further, when I setup a multi out VSTi all the outputs are in a folder as a default.  Many of those tracks would naturally goto a bus that maybe be different for other tracks in that folder. An example maybe a guitar and horns or strings and so on.   

As it stands now an Aux track is treated like any other track on an MCU. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This would be so nice! 😀

I see two different options:

1. To automatically route tracks and instruments placed in a folder to a specified bus (it would be a setting of that folder)
  2. To have some kind of bus/folder hybrid tracks.

I think I would prefer the first option. It would save time and it would ensure consistency in routing, so you don't forget.

Folder-based routing FTW! 👍

Edited by GreenLight
  • Like 1

Please no: folders are for visual/organisational purposes.

For example, I have a Vocal folder in a lot of my projects: some tracks in it will route to the lead vocal bus, some to the backing vocal bus.  Having to have 2 folders (or, maybe even one track outside a folder if there's only one lead/backing vocal) would be irritating to put it mildly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

There is no need.

Maybe Track Outputs menu can be accessible from the right click context menu for better workflow.

1 hour ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

You can already route an entire Folder to a Bus very quickly and simply.

Great tip. Thanks. 

Edited by murat k.

3 minutes ago, murat k. said:

Maybe Track Outputs menu can be accessible from the right click context menu for better workflow.

I agree it would be more intuitive.  Ideally a context sensitive right click menu with various folder options when you right click  the area shown here

image.png.11688b04a1abb28663690cfa1cababe9.png

• Like 4