Problems w old Mackie Control Universal

Dave Maffris

Someone gave me a free Mackie Control Universal, it's the old model without a usb port, just MIDI in/out. I connected it to my current version of Cbb and for the first time tried to use an external control surface. I put the Mackie unit into Mackie Control mode. The faders responded automatically, as do the arming of tracks, etc. But I cannot use it, because when opening any virtual instrument I cannot get either of my attached controller keyboards to communicate with Cakewalk.  That is, press a keyboard key and no sound and the instrument's virtual keyboard doesn't respond. It's as if it's not on the right channel, but I typically set my tracks for "all inputs/midi omni" which always works, but not now. I have connected the Mackie unit not to a keyboard, but to my Presonus Quantum Midi in/out and everything looks good in settings, etc. Another problem is I cannot seem to load my previous projects, they just hang while loading. If I disconnect the Mackie unit and reboot my computer, Cakewalk resumes functioning normally in all ways. If someone has any advice for me so I can actually use this Mackie Universal Control unit, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I use exactly that old Mackie Control with Cakewalk and it works great. Be sure to check your midi device settings. After I set the control surface ports in the Connected Controllers / Surfaces it seems to keep the controller data from messing with the tracks, and vice versa. I have a MOTU Fastlane USB / Midi box that I connect the Mackie to, and I don't always use other midi i/o - I have tracked with midi keyboards and drums though.