Usb midi controller not playing back midi information in Cakewalk

Mr No Name

I have a korg microkorg 25 usb plug and play midi keyboard, I have no sound coming from it when using vsti's?  also the software inbuilt stock keyboard doesn't playback sound from vsti's either ??   The soft synths will play sound by their own keyboards on the plug in and inputting information on to the step sequencer will result in sound being played back.  It's almost as if there should be a function in the plug in that  needs to let the plug in be played from an external source?    In cubase I just open the the soft synth and it plays automatically on the microkorg and computer keypads ?  This runs on ASIO,  is the fact cakewalk doesn't use ASIO anything to do with this?    I would expect the inbuilt software cakewalk keyboard to playback automatically at the very least?   I'm sure there must be a solution.   thanks.

1 hour ago, Mr No Name said:

I have a korg microkorg 25 usb plug and play midi keyboard, I have no sound coming from it when using vsti's?  

that should read  "Micro Key 25"     thanks

From what I can tell from online information, the Micro Key 25 doesn't have built-in sounds and doesn't have a speaker to playback sounds that might be coming from the computer to it via usb (if that is what it is supposed to do).

Maybe you are saying that the VSTis aren't receiving MIDI data from the MicroKey 25? 

also the software inbuilt stock keyboard doesn't playback sound from vsti's either ?? 

inbuilt stock keyboard = Cakewalk's virtual keyboard?  See this for documentation on the Cakewalk's Virtual Controller / Keyboard.

The soft synths will play sound by their own keyboards on the plug in and inputting information on to the step sequencer will result in sound being played back.  

Makes sense; glad that part of your setup is working.

It's almost as if there should be a function in the plug in that  needs to let the plug in be played from an external source?    In cubase I just open the the soft synth and it plays automatically on the microkorg and computer keypads ?  This runs on ASIO,  is the fact cakewalk doesn't use ASIO anything to do with this?   

Cakewalk does use ASIO. By ASIO do you mean ASIO4ALL?  If so, your problem makes sense. Cakewalk by Bandlab doesn't work with ASIO4ALL.  Try using Windows Audio: Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording.  I suggest starting with WASAPI Shared to see if that works for you.

I would expect the inbuilt software cakewalk keyboard to playback automatically at the very least?   I'm sure there must be a solution.   thanks.

It works for me if I have the Instrument track's MIDI Input set to Omni.

Hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Maybe you are saying that the VSTis aren't receiving MIDI data from the MicroKey 25? 

yes, that is what I am saying.

I used a korg microkorg previously which was set up via midi cables into an interface and returned back into the laptop via usb from the interface, but strangely doesn't seem to work directly from this "microkey 25" direct via usb ?     

I'm guessing microkey 25 isn't compatible with cakewalk. (even though it shows in the preferences as connected?)

22 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

I'm guessing microkey 25 isn't compatible with cakewalk. (even though it shows in the preferences as connected?)

I haven't used one of those, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't work.  I assume by connected you mean it shows up under Preferences > MIDI > Devices and it is checked in the Inputs section?  If so, can you record notes from it on a MIDI track? 

8 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I haven't used one of those, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't work.  I assume by connected you mean it shows up under Preferences > MIDI > Devices and it is checked in the Inputs section?  If so, can you record notes from it on a MIDI track? 

Neither the virtual keyboard or the micro key sends and messages(sound) at all ,   it's on wasapi shared mode, I've tried all modes,  on soft synth track, virtual keyboard omni selected, nothing?   microkey 25 omni selected, nothing?    

operating system win 10,   it's beyond bizarre,  I've tried every configuration 3 times and there is no defauit setting. 

I am giving up and using cubase instead, works immediately with no fuss.

44 minutes ago, Mr No Name said:

For what reason I do not know, but anyway. 

Bizarre.

Not bizarre at all. It's a basic procedure--turning on and off the input echo based on the specifics of your needs. It relates to routing.  Cakewalk is very flexible, but the trade off is that you have to take the time to understand how it works and decide what workflow is best for you. There are modes where the input echo automatically turns on, but there are many times when users don't want it turned on.  

I am wondering how you inserted an instrument track without the input echo turning on.  I just tried several methods and input echo lit up. Also, when I added a second instrument track, the input echo for that track lit up and the input echo light on the first track turned off. 

Maybe other DAWs have all VSTis playing live input from a single source all the time and that's what you are used to?

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo

30 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Glad to hear you solved the problem.  For more on the button see this.  

From that link check your preferences quick: "The Off position on a current MIDI track is only available if you disable the Always Echo Current MIDI Track option in Edit > Preferences > MIDI - Playback and Recording." That should be ON by default, and may be off by accident. That is required to monitor the input to a channel through a VSTi, and should automatically be on if the track is in focus to prevent what you were experiencing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mettelus said:

From that link check your preferences quick: "The Off position on a current MIDI track is only available if you disable the Always Echo Current MIDI Track option in Edit > Preferences > MIDI - Playback and Recording." That should be ON by default, and may be off by accident. That is required to monitor the input to a channel through a VSTi, and should automatically be on if the track is in focus to prevent what you were experiencing.

Thanks.  I was just writing up some other details that included the line you quoted, but that's it in a nutshell.   

• Like 1

Thanks for replies, I first d/l cakewalk about a year ago, and I have never been able to get that microkey 25 to work with vsti softsynths until today, or the virtual keyboard?   strange.  As regards the input echo function, it probably is very useful, but I'm sure it is something which could be achieved using channel input /output routing and solo/mute buttons, 

but it is still a nice DAW ,  

I'd recommend development teams have at least one moderately stupid person on each team to point out when things are being over complicated.

and get rid of manuals, no one should need to read manuals.

I'd recommend development teams have at least one moderately stupid person on each team to point out when things are being over complicated.

and get rid of manuals, no one should need to read manuals.

To be honest, I had to work very hard to try to figure out what you were trying to say because the way you were describing the issue was not very clear.  That's why I had to spend time asking clarifying questions, breaking your post down into bite size pieces, etc.  I think I did a fairly decent job of playing stupid to meet your needs just as a user trying to help another user.  That being said, I thought of asking if you had input echo on, but that is so basic, I didn't want to risk insulting your intelligence.

My bad for not taking the risk.

Edited by User 905133
edits; deleted a duplicate word (echo)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

As regards the input echo function, it probably is very useful, but I'm sure it is something which could be achieved using channel input /output routing and solo/mute buttons, 

The routing can get complex, for sure, but the purpose is to specifically monitor (echo) an input signal so you can hear it while recording/tracking. When there is already data in the track it is no longer required. Where it is most useful is to help with gain adjustments, etc., prior to and when actually recording as well as letting you listen to VSTis while noodling around with presets (without needing to arm the track).

• One of the things I had been writing up earlier was how my setup/workflow works with soft synths. 
    • Add an instrument track
      • Automatically input echo comes on
    • Record a short part (bass, chords, etc.)
    • Add another instrument track
      • Automatically input echo switched to the current track 
    • Manually unarm the previous track and arm the current track
    • Record another layer
    • and so on

The workflow is so natural for me (mind to hands), that I had to stop typing my reply to the OP to be able to verify that it was as simple as I remembered it being. I have no doubt that if I switched to another music-making tool, it wouldn't be as "intuitive" and I'd have to spend time to figure out how to do it with the new tool. To me learning new music-making tools is a fact of life.    

Edited by User 905133
added a missing word ("to")

3 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

I first d/l cakewalk about a year ago, and I have never been able to get that microkey 25 to work with vsti softsynths until today, or the virtual keyboard?   strange

Yes, strange, as Always Echo Current MIDI Track is enabled by default in a new installation. You must have disabled it a year ago and forgot.

• Like 1