Midi Drum Piano Roll - odd behavior sometimes.

HOOK

In some projects my midi drum piano roll shows this giant gap at the top.  And some projects it doesn't.  Anyone have a clue what's causing this or how to stop it?

It's not a huge deal, but if I'm trying to manually drop in a kick drum and get just above that line, it'll drop a note at the bottom, below the china, and start a new row called "unmapped".   It's just annoying.

image.thumb.png.1ffcb16f63fc7c6201767bac0ebf89ca.png

Edited by HOOK

• HOOK changed the title to Midi Drum Piano Roll - odd behavior sometimes.

Yeah.  It is.

Looking closer, it happens when I double click on the midi in the clips pane to bring up the midi drum prv in the multidock.  Previous to that, it looks correct.

If I move to the docker and click on the piano roll it looks correct.

Strange little bug.

3 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

You can't just "drop in" a kick drum and expect it to populate. It  must be added to the underlying drum map. Here you can change the relative position of each kit piece and assign I/O channels and several other parameters

I'll try and dig out a screenshot later on today when I'm back in the studio

As you can see by the drum piano roll, I have a drum map with a kick drum on it.  I don't think you can even get that view without a drum map.  You can certainly drop in a kick drum there by clicking on the prv timeline.

1 hour ago, HOOK said:

As you can see by the drum piano roll, I have a drum map with a kick drum on it.  I don't think you can even get that view without a drum map.  You can certainly drop in a kick drum there by clicking on the prv timeline.

That is the prv representation of the underlying  drum map - not the map itself. See my 2nd post above. This is where you can add, amend, edit, delete

We're obviously miscommunicating.

I'm not trying to add another kick drum sound.  I'm trying to drop a kick drum HIT onto the PRV, and successfully doing so most of the time - unless I accidentally click just above the kick drum slot on the PRV.

My concern is...WHY is there a large gap above the kick drum in PRV sometimes and not other times?

Are we on the same page now?  😁

maybe you just need to ensure the kick label is highlighted then add it? you seem to have the note height nice and large. i know for me, that making a slight error on selecting/clicking things, if i'm off even slightly, some weird stuff happens (screen changes, clips move, etc), and things sometimes crash...

image.png.9ec67a1f8f31cca59318dea74cb4a9a8.png

• Like 2

Well.  Again.  I'm more concerned with why there's a large gap above the kick drum row sometimes and not others.  Serves no purpose as far as I know, and it's unfixable until it magically fixes itself the next time I open the project.

As far as putting the new note on the right line, mamma always did tell me I should work on my aim.

5 minutes ago, HOOK said:

Well.  Again.  I'm more concerned with why there's a large gap above the kick drum row sometimes and not others.  Serves no purpose as far as I know, and it's unfixable until it magically fixes itself the next time I open the project.

As far as putting the new note on the right line, mamma always did tell me I should work on my aim.

Are there any more kit pieces below the ones currently shown? If not, try dragging bottom of the grid upwards.

I'm still not in my studio yet so can't confrim if this will help or not

If you look at the extreme right side of my screen shot you'll see the bar is moved all the way up...and it won't drag down to center the list.  There's nothing down there below China.  This blank section shows up....and persists.

thanks. i load up SSDSampler and your drum map. i have the theme as Tungsten as well. i'm not seeing a gap above the KICK. 

image.png.52a178df2ac4a0597f7b4cff17e38c9a.png

BUT -- if i adjust the window separations so i see a gap BELOW the SIDE STICK, then i also see the blank lines which you're seeing up top. and if i double click to add a note, it simply adds it to the SIDE STICK row and doesn't create an entry. so there may be a setting [somewhere] which allows entries to be made into the drum map from the PRV? for me - it's not adding the extraneous row, just adding them to the bottom SIDE STICK row.

image.png.23cb1ed808ab35022c882e2612dfef23.png

not sure if this helps or not, but i'm not able to reproduce it as in your first post.

Edited by Glenn Stanton